Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What happened to these?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by charles21o7, Nov 8, 2004.

1. I stumbled upon these versions of the SG bass , they look awesome, i never knew these existed. Can anyone tell me about em?

2. It's an SG-Z, made for only one year (2001, I think). 34" scale, Z pickups with coil siwtches for each. I have one but don't use it much. Maybe someday, Gibson basses will be worth something.

3. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    So how does it sound? Do you not use it much because it sounds like poo?

4. It's kind of uncomfortable--doesn't balance too well. It sounds pretty good, but it's the opposite of mud. The low end is not what you'd expect from a Gibson. It's more of a "modern" tone.

5. I thought the original SG basses were lame- wimpy and short scale. T-birds were another story.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's got the same electronics and bridge as current T-Birds, but the neck is set not neck-through like a T-Bird. It sounds a lot like a T-Bird.

That UGLY pickguard is a typical Gibson move...if it had a traditional EB style guard it would look a lot better :rollno:

7. Lecollectif

Lecollectif

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    I had the Epiphone Eb0. The short scale version of what you have posted there.

I must say, I hated the damn thing. The volume/tone knobs were a joke. It was too heavy, didn't balance properly, and went out of tune between every song.

Great thing to learn on, especially if you're coming from guitar, but pure **** for just about everything else.... c'ept punk. :bag:

8. It doesn't have the low end of a 'Bird. I'm pretty sure the pickups aren't the same. The 'Bird has TB pickups, and the SG-Z has "Z" pickups, which are wired for series/parallel/humbucker on each.

Here's the SG-Z product page:
    http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/Bass/SG-Zbass.html

Charles, are you the one who ordered an EB-3 from the Custom Shop? And they never told you about the SG-Z?

9. Yeah, they never mentioned it. They kept trying to get me to buy a Lee Sklar sig.

My EB3 is getting two jack casady custom pickups and a psychedelic paint job "inspired" by Jack Bruces and Claptons instruments from cream. It should come in around january or feb
    I really only wanted the body style, thats why i had better pickups on it.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The only reason people put up with those neck-divers is because of that reknowned tone. Score one for the Gibson R+D department :rolleyes:

11. Hahaha. Yeah, I guess they made a list of stuff that nobody wants in a bass and voila--SG-Z!

To be fair, though, it does have a pretty decent rock tone. It's not a TBird but the look and sound aren't so bad for rock and/or roll.

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Hee hee--from the product page:

Heh...menacing and haunting... :bag:

13. superlan

superlan

Jan 13, 2005
    I agree to funkycarnivore. I have just received an SG-Z I ordered at www.klangfarbe.at. It looks way cool (that's mainly why I bought it) and sounds great, but the balance is terrible. It is true what's been stated here in the forum by different people, the bass is neckdiving as hell. If you attach a slippy nylon belt you nearly can't play the baby for long (e.g. live) because you constantly have to fight gravity and that's messing up your playing. If you don't hold the neck the neck just points straight to the ground. Using a leather or other belt which sticks to your shoulder helps. But comparing the playability to my main bass ESP B-1 the SG-Z is way behind. So I can not really recommend the SG-Z is worth buying since it is pretty expensive. Nevertheless I think I will keep it as a backup and studio instrument due to the good sound.

14. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I love the pickguard....I like the shape better than the traditional style, and the black pearl looks great.