1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What happened with the Hartke cab craze?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SanDiegoHarry, Sep 23, 2008.

1. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I didn't know that about Sam Ash... but I do know that MarkBass is a GC thing. Last time I was in a GC, just piddling with a bass, a salesman REALLY pushed me to check out a markbass rig - so I did. It was okay (it's always hard to tell how anything sounds at a GC) but I don't think I'll be giving up my ashdown/epifani rig anytime soon.

2. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I use Hartke XL cabs everyday - a 1x15 under a 2x10 powered by a GK 400RB-IV head. I love the tone - very tight, punchy, unforgivingly precise and deep without that "whump" that often distorts on other cabs that try to reproduce a punchy attack in the lower frequencies...

I've never had a problem with the Hartkes. To my ears, they've always sounded neutral - they seemed to add no character of their own to the sound and reproduced only what was actually there. Some people sneer at this and think the sound is cold, or clinical... I think it's honest and transparent.

:bag:

3. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    If he is gonna bring this thread from the dead im gonna chime in one last time too.

The old cabs really aren't better. I love Hartke and still use them. For the money they are hard to beat.

THAT BEING SAID.

The old ones have a bad problem were the cones would shred. And if the cones didn't do that the dust caps would come have un-glued and make a terrible farting noise that was nothing more than annoying during a show.

All things aside if I had more money right now I would be looking at Eden cabinets and a Berg nv610 if I could demo one locally

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I've got three Hartke cabs - a 2.5xl which sounds great and is plenty loud enough on its own for small gigs, a 115xl that is also excellent and really fills out the low end, and a 210xl which is NOT a great cab and only really any good in a bi-amped rig, as when it's used full range it has no real bottom end.

I was always pretty happy with the sound I got from these. My Markbass stuff sounds better, but then look at the price difference. It's hard to beat Hartke on value for money. If I had to take my Hartke rig out to gig now instead of the Markbass gear, the difference I'd notice the most would be the weight of the thing getting in and out of the gig rather than the sound I was getting during the set.

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I had one of the MANY GK into two Hartke 4x10's rigs that were visible around D/FW back in the day. But I let it go after a year or two. Weight was a significant portion of that decision. That and I legitimately preferred the sound of my Acoustic B4 head into an Acoustic TC210p and Randall 2x15. It was also ridiculously heavy and awkward. But somehow bothered me less.

6. catgut

catgut

Jan 15, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I hate my Hartke. But I ma lazy and poor and so it i son pretty much all recordings to date. I hate it but whatever. It is a featherweight next to the Mesa Diesel though. I don't miss that. I even have the "Pro" XL version. I used to like the sound with all the highs cut and the tension of trying to get a warm mellow sound out of them but realized that paper and real warmth with opened up highs was where my sound should have been. I was going to go back to a 70's Ampeg 8x10 but they are so expensive and popular now I tried the Diesel Mesa stuff. After rocking those EV-10's I have found the modern/ vintage flexible crossover I was looking for. The Hartke cabs are **** also give them a good thwack and you can hear it echo. Bad rigidity by any speaker measurement. The box is almost as important as the fancy drivers you use.

7. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    I always hated those damned things. They were heavy, ugly, and never sounded good to my ears.

8. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I actually did like their sound at higher volumes. At gig level or louder, they were decent.

At practicing-by-myself level? Bleh. Yucko.

9. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    I really like Hartke gear. Never owned anything, but always enjoy playing through it. The tube preamp always sounds nice to my ears. For the price, I still think Hartke makes pretty great amps and cabs for the gigging bass player.

10. slagbass

slagbass Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Canada
    Still rockin' it. I can't speak for the Transporters or the later Hartke models but the old 410XLs still sound great to my ears.

Sure, they are 90+ lbs. That's why god invented casters - and drummers (to grab the other handle). :)

11. Old thread, I know... But I thought it was worth adding that I still love the sound of my XL cabs with my new amps... Both an Aggie TH-350 and GB Shuttle 9.2 have breathed new life into my 115 + 210 setup... Huge wall of sound.
    Even though I have a new pair of DB112NT cabs to enjoy, I still find the XL's exciting as a brighter tonal alternative. :)

12. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    You know, that might explain it. I'd always tried them out at moderate to low volumes, and couldn't figure out why anyone would want to use them.

13. You just described my mother-in-law.

14. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Booya!

Same here.:p