1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what Happened with the t-40's value?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LuckyCondlins, Nov 5, 2010.

1. I thought like 2 years ago this things value was going way up...seems to be stuck around $350 still??

what happened?

2. I saw one for $275 on Cl last week too

3. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Some versions have continued to move up in value (like the burst finishes and anything with a rosewood FB) but the generally slow economy is holding things back.

Just look at our own classifieds- you're seeing some terrific basses and amps out there priced EXTREMELY reasonably and yet they sit there.

4. yea I gots a 79 t-40 natural finish...price is like the same as it was 2 years ago...

5. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Exactly. I have a natural/maple early edition myself and I KNOW the price hasnt changed since I got mine 2 years ago. There are way more of those than anything else and its the age old supply/demand thing. Right now there's much more supply than demand for pretty much anything in the used market.

6. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    At least they have not lost value, unlike a new bass.

Still a bargain for those who enjoy them to be played. Good thing!

7. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    The used and vintage instrument market has taken a hit since the economic downturn. Some instruments have settled into stagnation in the prices
    they can command, while others have taken a big dollar hit, especially in the upper tier categories where speculation that once drove prices to
    absurdly high levels has finally met reality.There are still bargains to be found and the older Peavey basses are good deals for what you can get for
    your money, as they have been for a long time, including happier economic times.

8. madmachinist

madmachinist

Dec 28, 2008
    are you concerned that you won't be able to afford one..?

from the title of your post , it sounded like you were in the
    sellers market .

it would be unusual for anyone to complain of low prices
    otherwise.

we've all been there... that pot-o-gold we've been sitting on
    in reserve, for when that rogue bill comes due, and we're just
    going to turn it and get another when times get better :crying:

anyway , most of us embrace low prices.

the T-20 FL has always been my favorite peavey, but i've seen the T-20 fretless
    go for $600 ! maybe the trend will follow the t20 (!)

9. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    The dollar price per pound for the T-40 is particularly low.

10. haha:)

Thats true.

FYI there is a black one on guitar centers used site for 249.99$

11. lol! My 1st bass was a black T-40 in 1980 - wish I still had her

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    They are Peaveys ... not Rickenbackers.

13. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    think it's a case by case basis, because they can vary as much as 200 bucks depending on how bad the person wants to sell it or how vintage cool the particular bass is

14. I sold mine before the boom in price. I had a teal green one (custom from Peavey). Sold it for $150. I wish I still had it.

15. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Yeah- THAT one would probably get you $5-600 nowadays if its in really good shape. Maybe more if it had a rosewood fb

16. I got my t-40 for $50... best 50 i have ever spent!

17. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Personally I am waiting for the bottom to drop out of the used market even further so the good stuff that was ridiculously overpriced comes back into the stratosphere....

The last few years saw some very high prices on instruments that previously sold for far less, with no real reason to see a price increase.

To be fair I understand that certain instruments will fetch a high price. And they are worth it to some. However some of the stuff seen on ebay before the economy took a dump was just flat out ridiculous.

18. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

T40s go in waves... you see this pricing plateau with Ricks and other cult basses.

The Peavey USA stuff is common to have one model go up in value then plateau.. the market then moves onto another model.

Just a few years back I could buy Foundations and/or TLs all day long for about $100..

19. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Interesting thread! I just brought home a '76 T-40 last night to try out for a few days. I know the original owner (jammed with his band last night - on drums) and have a complete history of this bass. Inside the case there is the original sales receipt and all the T-40 literature, not to mention the HSC. This one has the natural body with the maple neck and is in awesome condition. He told me to think about what is was worth to me and offer him that price! Any suggestions? Thanks.

20. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    $250 is a fair price for Natural/maple.