Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What happenned to my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chug_A_Lug, Apr 4, 2001.

1. i got a new amp this summer, it's a crate, and i got my first bass as well. and about a month the strangest thing started happening... i was playing my bass and out of no where, the sound just went off... well, the amp was still on, but it kind of went quiet. i usually have the volume on 3 or 4. i live in the dorms and i don't want it getting too loud. but i couldn't understand why the sound got softer. i thought that maybe it was the cord. but i made sure it was plugged into the bass and the amp... then i made sure my bass was turned up and it was... then i made sure nothing had happened to the amp. eventually, the sound came back. but it worried me. then it happened a few days later. and it literally scares me b/c i'm new at basses and amps... my first of both and i'm not sure what could be wrong... i've really no clue! i talked to a friend and she said it could be the cord. but there isn't a buzz or anything, it just goes quiet. i even tried with a different cord and got the same result. i'll be taking the amp in anyway b/c it worries me. but does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Welcome to TalkBass, Chug.

Very interesting question. Thank you for posting it in Miscellaneous. It is a way cool forum, I know)

This topic is more of an "amps" forum question, though. I'll let those guys formulate an answer.

Will C.:cool:

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You're taking it in to the shop, it sounds like, so that will be a relief (of your money ;) ). I never played a Crate, but I know they usually have all kinds of built in effects. Does it have a noise gate and are you using it? If so, turn it off. That will clip your volume. Also, turn the limiter off and see if that makes it stop the volume drop.

Otherwise, my only guess is that something a tech needs to handle is goosey in the amp.

4. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    if the bass has active electronics, the battery could be dying. the strings could've gone dead, but i'm not sure how much that'll affect volume.

5. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    if its not the lead, it could be a dodgy jack socket on either the bass or the amp

6. yeah, i think its a battery problem. check out the bass to see if its active. there usually a cover on the back of the bass.

hope this works out for you.

7. if u got any bass mates, maybe u should get them to check it out with you and let you know what's up.

hey i got a qn bout my amp to.
    it's got a hole in the mesh front from where a foot went through it. it still goes fine, but it looks silly.
    any ideas?

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Dayaam, Tom! Sounds like the hardcore punk scene is alive and well. Well, you could do what the manufacturer should have done in the first place - rip off the cloth and put some heavy mesh metal grill, (like fencing in the hardware store). You could attach it with those sharp-tipped, sort of U-shaped things (I ain't no carpenter).

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    This could also happen if the power goes out. :D

10. riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight! luckily for me i don't live in CA. i'd have a first class stroke! goodness, i need my internet and TV, otherwise... otherwise... i just won't make it! i won't survive!!!

~~E
    :cP

11. no punk for me. just good old fashioned cock rock thak you very much. i take it as a sign.