1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What happens if you do run an amp's OHMs wrong?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AlstottMVP2, Sep 16, 2008.

1. AlstottMVP2

AlstottMVP2

May 9, 2007
    Does it blow up the amp? Or the speakers? Or the bass?

2. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    Usually it blows up something. Not absolutely, but never do it.

EDIT: To clairify, usually the amp power section burns out because there's nothing to "cushion" it if the ohmage is too low. If the ohmage is too high, the amp gets frustrated because there's too much "cushioning" and burns out. Nothing would/should happen to you/your bass!!!

EDIT: I'm kind of drunk

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
  4. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    [​IMG]

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Today's amps - Usually nothing. The amp self protects by shutting down. It'll be back in a few seconds or minutes.

6. It's like dividing by 0...

[​IMG]

:smug:

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Behringer at 2 ohms.

[​IMG]

8. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    Haha, beat me to it. :D

What happens when you stick a fork in a power outlet?

9. AlstottMVP2

AlstottMVP2

May 9, 2007
    I only ask because twice - I've had the Ampeg B2RE die on me very quickly.

I'm getting it back from repair this week (warranty) and don't want to kill it again.

The goon from guitar center assured me over and over that I could just plug into my hartke 4x10 cabinet, and ampeg 1x15 cabinet, and all would be good. It was for a week or three, but then started shorting out both times.

I can hit it on top of the amp and it'll start working again.

maybe i just have bad luck and these ampegs are just cheap. Maybe it's something I"M doing. I did have a screwed up bass back then with some poorly soldered innards. The first time it just died, died. Sent back for refund. bought again locally, and it always worked - just shorted out over and over.

10. AlstottMVP2

AlstottMVP2

May 9, 2007

even ampeg cheapies?

11. sevenorchids

sevenorchids Supporting Member

What ohm's are the cabinets? That amp should be able to handle 2 8 ohm cabinets which will be a 4 ohm total load. But, if one of those happens to be a 4 ohm cabinet, then you are presenting a 2.67 ohm load to the amp and it may not like it.

12. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Doesn't sound like an impedance problem to me. There's something else wrong. That amp should handle a 4-ohm load just fine, and AFAIK, all Hartke cabs are 8 ohms. I don't know anything about Ampegs, but I'll bet the 1x15 is also 8-ohms. So, if you've got good speaker cables (you aren't one of those fools who use guitar cords to connect amps to cabinets, are you?) the cabinets shouldn't be causing any problems.

The fact that you can smack the amp and get it to work tells me it's loose component, cracked circuit board, or bad solder joint in there.

jte