Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What happens in my Sansamp while plugged in WITH phantom power?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Nov 8, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If I have my Sansamp plugged into the board and taking phantom power WHILE I have a battery in it, where does it draw from? Or if it's plugged into the wall and taking phantom?

What if it's plugged into the wall, with a battery inside, AND phantom power?

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Take a deep breath :)

There is a slide switch on the unit to select Phantom Power. Slide it toward the XLR plug to select Phantom. Now Phantom Power overrides the other power sources.

Or ask Tech21, since they support these units for a living.

3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I emailed the T21 guys about being plugged into the wall and when there is an adapter plugged into the unit reguardless of whether it powered or not it won't draw from the battery.

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I think I found that if there's a battery in there that's what it uses even if the battery is dead and there are other available power sources. I decided to take the battery out, carry an adaptor when necessary and use phantom power when available.

Wulf

5. In every pedal I've ever used, the DC power input jack has a switch inside it that over-rides battery power when there's a connector inserted into it. Removing a battery whilst powering from a DC wall wart (plugpack) is not necessary.

Now, phantom power is another question entirely. I cannot speak for Tech 21 products, but others I know such as EBS use an electronic method of detecting the 48V phantom power and disconnecting other power sources.

In other words, 48V phantom takes precedence over all other forms of powering - and a well designed pedal will not charge or surge a battery whilst being powered from an external source.

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What niftydog describes is certainly what I expected - maybe I've got an older unit or it's got a minor fault? However, I distinctly remember it being flaky when the battery started to get flat, regardless of what other power sources were available or where the ground lift switch was.

It wasn't really a problem for me anyway - I'm not keen on relying on batteries and always end up using an external power source anyway. It just gave me a couple of hours of wondering if the SABDDI had gone seriously wrong. Anyway, it now means that I save the weight of a battery when I'm lugging it around ;)

Wulf