Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What happens when i plug a guitar into my bass amp?, cuz i cant afford a new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by picsures4ewe, Mar 19, 2005.

1. picsures4ewe

picsures4ewe

Mar 19, 2005
    my dog pissed on my guitar amp so all i have are a couple bass amps, so would it kill my bass amp if i plugged my guitar into it?

im a noobie

2. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    it shouldnt hurt it too much.

I'd kill your dog though

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    No. It'll sound like poo, just don't go crazy with the volume.

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    You gutiar will have better rythm, smoother tones. be much more intelligent and chicks will dig you!! Actually not much, you'll just get this awfull sterile, borring tone that will make you want to go back to bass. In fact the better the bass amp the worse the gutiar will sound. The problem is good bass amps are desighned to produce loads of good clean sound with lots of bottom. Gutiar amps are desighned to break up to give warmth or distortion to the tone without near as wide a frequencie range. You won't hurt the amp, there is much more danger in running a bass loud thru a gutiar amp then the other way around. Try it, it won't hurt the amp, I doubt it will sound good though.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Be careful with the high end if you have a tweeter. I once, when playing guitar in a reggae band, cooked our bass player's Acme Low B tweeter when my Twin was in the shop. He never did say anything about it...but there was the distinct smell of fried Acme on my side of the stage. Luckily it was outdoors.

6. dangjalopy

dangjalopy

Nov 8, 2004
    i may be old and my memory is going but, didnt a lot of guitar players use the fender bassman? i know the guitar player in my band has one he uses for practice. with that said, the bassman wasn't a great "bass" amp. your sound will be deeper than most guitar amps and you probably will not want to turn the volume up much.

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    True that. I've heard of lots of jazz/blues guitarists using bass amps.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Most of these happen to be old tube combos, which are similar to guitar amps in more ways than modern gear.

9. +++++++++++111111111111.......O.K I like dogs soooo +++111

10. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I use mine for guitar quite a bit. I also used to hook mine up to my computer and use it as a stereo too. Sounded awesome. :)

Jake

11. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    A friend in whose side-project I play in (psychedelic punk/folk/metal, I play in it just for kicks because the lyrics are so well written and tongue-in-cheek) used to run his Ibanez Artcore and some crazy Ibanez from the mid-80's through about 10 effects pedals, then to a Bassman 60 watt amp, because he plays bass in another (very crappy) band. He didn't want it to sound good; he wanted it to sound like a huge pile of SOUND, and crush people with it. He succeeded.

12. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

My roommate in college had a Jackson electric guitar and a Marshall stack. One day he plugged his guitar into my little GK combo unit (basically a GK Microbass 150S-112). He LOVED the tone, and I found him playing through my GK combo wayyy more often than through his Marshall Stack from then on. :D

That was a wicked little combo amp. I wish I'd never sold it. :bawl:

13. You can definately use a guitar through a bass amp. I wouldn't recommend using a bass through a guitar cabinet.

Just be sure to disconnect the tweeter if there is one. It will sound crappy with it and you could easily fry it.

There are no volume issues to be conserned with. Hopefully you will have enough EQ options to dial in a good sound. You may be surprised at the result.

This is definately a good option for jazz players.