1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What happens when pickups age?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chris Ramlar, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    I've got an old MIJ P-Bass (87) which I think has stock pickups and I would like to know if pickups lose output with time I really like the sound of mine but sometimes I think I would like more output and clarity for recording purposes. I would say I like a vintage sound (I use flats).

what would you guys recommend for this?

thanks!

2. Muaguana

Muaguana

Jul 28, 2009
  3. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    so according to what I read PU's don't lose that much output overtime that means I still need to change my stock PU's cause I'm not satisfied with the output I'm getting what brand makes a vintage sounding PU (passive) with good output?

4. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Personally, if I loved the sound of the pickups and wanted more volume, I'd add a transparent preamp to the signal path. I doubt you'd find another pickup with the same voice but hotter.

5. TGLbass

TGLbass

Aug 20, 2010
    Late 70's Dimarzio 123's. The newer ones are okay but those old ones IMO make a P or J bass a better sounding axe UNLESS you have a stock Fender pick up that sounds great already-- there ARE some of those you know.

6. "Q"

"Q"

Feb 9, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    +1 Audere comes to mind for preserving your vintage tone.

7. i heard fralin make very good vintage P and JB pups. Anyway, any brand of pickups would be better than the stock pups i think..

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021