Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What has been your favorite feeling neck on a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Aug 27, 2003.

1. What has been your favorite feeling neck on a bass?.....so far my favorite has been the neck on my teacher's Warrior 5 string..my wrists aren't in the best of condition and when I played on it, there were no pains or anything...I don't frequently get pains(it's not RSI or those stuff....ex-rays say the finishing of my growing pains) and I felt faster on it...which was awesome.....here's the best pic I could find of the bass....I love it..it's so purdy..btw that's my teacher holding it, not me
    [​IMG] :D

so what about you guys...what's been your favorite feeling neck, too?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Probably a Steinberger XL-2 that i played or a Zon that i played, dont remmber the model.

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Flat necks are fun to play but seem to fatigue me quicker than a rounder neck. My fav's have been a couple Fodera Emperors I've owned and my Sadowsky's. I also had a Lakland 4 and a Pensa 4 that felt fast as heck!!

Rob

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's a pretty close race between a Peavey Cirrus and a Zon Sonus.

5. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Gibson Ripper

6. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    My MM Sabre, but probably only because I've played it so many years. My left hand just seems to know right where all the notes are with perfect comfort and no effort.

7. My faviroute neck is on my Warwick Dolphin SN, I love then feel of the warwick necks.

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'm not overly sensitive about the neck, but I prefer a slightly thinner Jazz-type neck. That works better with a wider 5-string bass IMHO. My Modulus is a bit too thin (get's a bit tiring after a long gig), the Overwaters are quite nice. I don't really enjoy thicker (read: Warwick) necks though.

9. My friend's original 1981 G&L L-1000 fretless....most beautiful neck ever, just molds to your hand almost, not too thin and not too fat either.

10. bassotus

bassotus

Nov 24, 2002
    Finland
    ..the well-worn wenge neck of my ´94 Warwick Fortress Masterman4. I've never played another Warwick that would come even close, although I like most Warwick necks..

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    For 4-string, I love my Gibson Thunderbird neck. It is quite thin, and even though I have big hands, I find it more comfortable to grapple all night than thicker necks.

For 5-string, I played a bunch and ended up digging the DeArmond Pilot 5 Deluxe the most. The cool part was that it was also one of the cheapest basses I looked at. However, two Barts and an OBP-1 later, and that puppy sounds as good as it plays!

Later, Tom.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yes! My favorite four stringer was (is) my EB MM Sabre. I think the pre-EB Sabres were a little chunkier? Still very nice though.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My overall favorite? That's easy: MTD 535. Best I've ever played, bar none.

14. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    4 string. my 1990 4003 ric.
    5 string my mtd 535
    6 string cirrus...(but the only 6 ive played but really close to my mtd)

steve

15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I've never played a neck as sweet as the ones on my two custom shop Conklins!!!

Like buttah!!!

16. My Iba SR1000.
    It's a 5-pc. wenge/bubinga neck, with no finish.
    It's thin and fast, and because it's not laquered it's silky smooth to the touch.
    I prefer it even over a Fender Jazz, which used to be my benchmark, until this one came along.

EZ

17. Old Rickenbacker 4001's (I haven't tried recent models, but the old ones rule!). The neck is amazingly smooth and fast. I have to say that I like Warwick's Wenge neck too.

18. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I can't decide between my MTD 535 (very thin, very sculpted) or the Elrick (thicker, but OH SO NICE). The Elrick has a absolutely sweet upper register cutout on the heel though... LOVE IT

19. IMO...

4-string dept.: The Fender Jazz Bass is hard to beat.

5-string dept.: My Godin has a comfortable flat/wide neck.

20. My RIC 4003JG.