1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WHAT has happened to Austin City Limits??

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bucephylus, May 8, 2010.

1. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    So, happened to turn on ACL tonight. They are showing some new song writer, Ryan Bingham. The bass player is playing some old axe, maybe a Silvertone. OK. Then I notice that the bass track is dubbed and not what the guy is playing. What's the deal? I've never seen that on ACL before. Are those guys syncing along to pre-recorded tracks?? For shame.:rollno:

2. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Next few tunes seem OK. I just have a hard time listening to straight quarters in the lower register while the guy is playing figures up on the D and G strings. Oh well.

3. That sure doesn't sound Austin City Limits-istical. Natutally I don't fall in love with each show, but each show is always very well done no matter what. I guess the question is:

How was this new song writer (or perhaps who did he know)? I'd guess not too good (or perhaps someone very important).

4. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Ryan Bingham is a Bad Ass. But Im in Texas and we know about him. Maybe he hasnt gotten very big outside of Texas.

5. So that might explain things... the entire tune (or even show) was prerecorded with him playing the bass part. Perhaps it was alla "Hey Jude" video, where the only live aspect was the vocals. Always watch the drums for such cheating. Often, when the drummer isn't shown playing, it's a fake job.

Very unAustin City Limits-istical :rollno:

6. He won an Oscar for the theme song for "Crazy Heart"

7. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    It seemed to just be the one tune that was off. The rest was right on. Never seen that before on ACL. Hopefully an infrequent thing. Bingham was cool.

8. benc

benc

Jan 29, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Maybe the bass player was playing too many notes and the band leader made him re-do his part. I guess that's unlikely. That would be pretty harsh.

My other guess is the engineer/soundman lost the bass signal somehow during the live recording and the bass player had to overdub.

9. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
  10. Every time I watch ACL I wonder how every band sounds and plays so damn well. Some times I think there is some pre / post magic going on, but I can't say definitively.

11. I am an Audio Engineer for a PBS/NPR station here in Indianapolis. I agree ACL has changed somewhat...here is a story from MIX online that explains the process

http://mixonline.com/recording/mixing/austin-city-limits/

:bag:

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Manu Chao was heavily overdubbed when they were on ACL. I've always dug ACL for it bringing exposure to more roots orientated bands that were a bit under the radar, but in recent years they have been bringing on bands like Coldplay and the Foo Fighters who in my opinion hardly need the exposure afforded by being on PBS.

13. I agree but the point of those bands is to bring NEW viewers and more importantly NEW MEMBERS. The sad fact is that
    funding has been cut drastically and the original supporters are getting older and dying off. ACL-Mountain-Stage Spotlight and the other PBS shows that focus on music are finding it hard to compete...These are clips from Legends in Jazz that was not only live in studio but in 5.1 to boot! But it had to be dropped. OK I am off my soapbox now!

:bag:

14. Sounbwoy

Sounbwoy Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Clayton, NC
    It's getting crazy when you have 56 channels at your disposal and need more...wow