1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What has Jaco taught you?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Orco87, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    I hear so much about jaco on here, never really listened to anything by him though. Started searchin around youtube for some techniques on playing fretless and I ran in to a Portrait of Tracy Vid... so I watched it, so it as being really nice.

Ran into some other vids w/ jaco, and I came across this one, Jaco Pastorious "Modern Electric Bass":

He seems to go over some of his methods and his history and whatnot... seems pretty cool. I will admit though, when he shows stuff, he seems to be more of a show-off then actually educating (he doesn't go slow enough for us newbs to see what he's doing :( ), but he's still a great player. As one person has commented, "he's able to best represent what he feels on his bass more then other players." or somethin like that.

I'm only on vid #5 out of 10. But through this vid it has taught me to:

-play closer to the fret lines...
    -I can play faster closer to the bridge cuz of strings being tighter
    -I'm still working on artificial harmonics, but I'm able to get some on my fretless... pretty cool.

Anything that jaco (or any other bassists for that matter) has taught you as in terms of tips and tricks that make your playing better? :bassist:

2. ninnlangel

ninnlangel Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2005
    France, Switzerland
    Well, first you should read a bit about the history of this video. This is Jaco towards the end, and a few friends tried to give him a hand by having him shoot, hoping it would give him some hope and motivation.

What you can learn from Jaco, you'll learn by listening to his best recordings, be they his own, or with weather report, joni mitchell, pat metheny...

The video has some nice tips though...

3. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Jaco has taught me nothing. I appreciate his tyle and enjoy his music, but it is not my style so I have not studied it enough to learn from it.

4. appler

appler Guest

Jaco has taught me that drugs are bad.

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I'm not much of a jaco fan. I dont like his style or tone that much, and his music has never truly reached me (though I've tried!).

That said, he "taught" or exposed me to a wider range of harmonics on bass.

Let me ammend what I said- I just checked out the video. He taught me to say "Just give me a gig man!"

6. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina

That is clue number one that all is not well with Jaco at this point. Jeremy Jemmott introduces Jaco by going over many of Jaco's accomplishments, to which Jaco replies, "gimme a gig" because he had alienated so many musicians and couldn't find playing opportunities.

Clue 2 is when he is playing something, makes a flub and says, "Whew! Outta shape man!"

Clue 3 is the absence of a fretless bass. I don't know if this is after he left his famous one in a city park somewhere, but he ends up having to play Jeremy's funky-looking one with the scrollwork.

Still, even Jaco at a low point offers a few worthwhile things. I still play fragments of "The Real Deal" that I can remember because it has a great string-crossing exercise in it. It's an ok video, but not really instructional.

7. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    +1
    I read his biography a couple years back, and that is exactly what I got from it. I also bought that video around the same time. I don't think it is a good video for a beginer. Probably more of an intermediate player.

8. ninnlangel

Dec 14, 2005
    France, Switzerland

Man, sorry to ask this, but why do you list jaco as an influence ? Your profile says wooten and jaco as influences... Did he only influence you not to take drugs ?

9. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    I learned that being a "bass hero" doesn't mean squat in the grand scheme of things. If you're unhappy, you're unhappy.. and fame and fortune won't help that...

10. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas

I pretty much agree w/ that... I've never been much of a jaco fan myself... after listening to his style, it really isn't mine either...

One thing I did leave out from my first post was that he helped me to further realize "less is more". One point in either vid 3 or 4 when he was playing along, it almost seemed like he wasn't even in groove w/ the main rhythm... it almost just started to sound like noise in my ears... really good melodic noise. I'm not dissing him at all though.

Thanks for the brief history lesson on when that vid was done, it does explain some things.

Although his style isn't my own, what I always try to do is take w/e good I can from anyone's way of playing and see if it works w/ my own (developing) style of play.

11. ninnlangel

Dec 14, 2005
    France, Switzerland
    What I was trying to say is also that you should not even base your judgement of Jaco from what you see on that video.

Jaco was a phenomenal comper, he supported the music beautifully, and though he was often busy, he was always in the pocket !

It's one thing to not appreciate someone's music, but you can't judge them on one night, on one session, especially when they were really instrumental to the development of your instrument.

12. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    This man is talking "sense." You overly confident youngsters listen please.. :bag:

13. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    taught me that most people dont give a crap abt bassists. most of my musician friends dont know who the hell is jaco, who apparently is the greatest bassist of all time.

tbh, i havent heard of jaco before i played bass for awhile. before that ive already known about guys like yngwie, vai, van halen, santana, slash, satriani, frusciante.

the only bassist i knew back then was flea loL. go figure

14. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    That, and I also learned that playing hard quick notes fingerstyle can sound funky as all-git-out... I'm talking about that thing where you play the note and then quickly mute the string before playing the next note.

15. Rumble Bee

Rumble Bee

Aug 15, 2005
    Not to do drugs. Jump on stage when Carlos Santana is Playing. Kick in a someone's door when a karate expert is behind it. JMO never liked his stuff.

16. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    What do you mean? Did Jaco take drugs? What drugs? Why did he stop? Plase evaluate.

17. Rumble Bee

Rumble Bee

Aug 15, 2005
    Wilkpedia him. Just be yourself and have your own style thats what makes you unique.

18. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    All of my friends that listen to jazz know who Jaco is - and none of them play bass

It sounds like you and your friends only know rock players. That's fine. You guys don't know of Jaco because he played fusion jazz.

Jaco is widely known by people who listen to that type of music - bassists or not.

19. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Jaco (and any number of other musicians) taught me that substance abuse is BAD! And easy to fall into when you work in bars and clubs.

Beyond that, he is a huge musical inspiration.

20. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    Your right, a person shouldn't judge in just one night... haven't heard much of any of his recordings before I saw the youtube vids, and that section of vids weren't the only ones I watched. I also watched the portrait of tracy and teen town w/ weather report vid too (good stuff!). It was merely an observation of mine when I said it looked like he was "showing off". Normally if you're showing how you're doing something and you do it in a fast manner, you slow it down... at least half the pace of how you normally do it... it doesn't seem like he slows it down at all, or maybe I'm so newb and his power rating is so high that everything he does is like instant transmission. 'Cuse my sarcasm, but was just making an observation. I do wish though, to look into some of his stuff, recordings w/ weather report, so on so forth, hear a lil' more of how his style incorporates w/ the band. Never did say he wansn't a great bass player at all, just have always been curious about seeing as how some around here completely worshipped him. :rolleyes: :p What is some of his stuff that I can/should look in to?