1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What has less tension than Fender 7250MLs?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nickn, Sep 19, 2008.

1. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    My P-bass is currently wearing the factory 7250MLs that came with it, .100 to .045 I think. They're too tight for me. Playing with .095 short scale strings on my Fender Mustang has opened my eyes to what a pleasure it can be to play light gauge, low tension strings. I'm looking for some roundwounds that fit the bill. I've read about the Thomastik roundwounds that are something like .089 gauge, but I think that might be a little extreme in terms of low-tension. I'm just looking for something that's got a really loose, easy-playing feel to it. If this was a guitar I would just buy a whole bunch of different strings and gauges to see what I liked, but bass strings are soooo expensive that experimenting can be a costly thing. Any suggestions?

2. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I suggest DR Sunbeams in the same gauge. They are round core, so they will be a little less stiff than the Fenders you are currently playing. Great strings.

Yes, the TIs will definitely be a lot less tension, but as you said, they may go too far. The DRs are one "notch" less stiff than your Fenders.

3. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks jasper383. When I can scare up the money, I'll check out a set of the DRs. :)

4. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

Try the fender 7150's,pure nickel different core,Can be had on evilbay for 17.99,Sunbeams are good but IMO didnt last as long as the 7150's.And cost about 22.00.I play the DR MM,sig set.I like ,long lasting too

5. If you like the strings, and just want slightly less tension, they do make a .40-.95 version of that string in long scale.

6. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    2nd the Sunbeams, they're REALLY nice sounding and feeling strings. The John Pearse nickels are also really nice, actually quite similar to the DRs.

I have the TI rounds on my '66 Jazz and really like them, but they are a very different string. They like a lighter touch for sure. They're a very dynamic, interesting string. And they feel like no other string I've ever played - very silky and slinky.

7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    +1 on the 7150's i did the same swap and love them.

8. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. I actually ended up with a set of GHS Boomers, .040 to .095. I went into GC to buy some Sunbeams and all they had was 45-105. I wanted as light as possible, so the salesman recommended the Boomers to me. So far I'm happy with them. They're nice and loose compared to the Fenders. :)