Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What has Stanley Clarke been up to?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by alexssandro, Nov 22, 2000.

1. I want to find some recent recordings of Stanley Clarke. I heard he released a fusion album in the group Vertu. Has anyone heard their stuff? How is it and what is it comparable to?

I also want to find some serious slapping by Stanley Clarke. I saw the movie "Romeo Must Die" in the theatre, and the best part of the whole movie was the slap bass solo. I rented the video to check it out, but it was barely audible on video. In the theatre though, it kicked ass. Does anyone know any other slap features? I know that on the "If This Bass Could Only Talk" album, he slaps on "Basically Taps."

2. hope this helps
    i believe stan is doing a lot of sound tracking these days
    if you want classic serious slapping by Stanley Clarke pick up what the rest of us stan fans have, his first album, self titled, school days, journey to forever, or for newer stan check out live 76-77. besides if this bass could talk i don't realy know of any new stan but you can check
    http://www.allmusic.com for more info

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've got the Vertu album and there is some really great bass playing on it - some very melodic stuff from Stanley. It is spoiled for me by Richie Kotzen's guitar playing and I just can't stand his watered -down "heavy metal" sound/style. There are some nice tunes there and good playing from the other members of the band though.

I also have a more recent trio album that Stanley Clarke did with McCoy Tyner and Al Foster, which is more straight ahead Jazz - he plays electric on a couple of tracks, but mostly upright. I did read in an interview that he was going to concentrate on double bass now and may never play electric again. I have also heard he has been going through a tough divorce which probably explains the lack of activity.

If you want an introduction to Stanley's electric playing - there was a recent compilation, which I bought called "The Bass-ic Collection" - it has 14 tracks and something from every period of his solo career. Lots of great solos to "attempt". Although my favourite solo is probably the earliest on the album - "Scool Days". The most recent are a couple from 95, which sound like a new direction to me which has been followd up on the Vertu album, for solos which are primarily melodic, rather than just about excitement, speed and viruosity. (No Slap!)

4. Hary

Hary Guest

Sep 19, 2000
    Hungary, Veszprém
    I haven't heard that album, but I can give you some help. Read a former topic, named Stanley Clarke, started by me. You can get a lot of information there, we were doin' it for quite a long time.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, i know what he was up to at the '97 namm show...

[​IMG]

we were jamming !!

:D