Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What has the biggest Influence on the sound?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Jan 25, 2006.

1. The wood of the bass

9 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. The electronics of the bass

31 vote(s)
    22.5%
  3. The strings of the bass

8 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. The neck of the bass

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  5. The knobs/controls of the bass

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  6. Your fingers

68 vote(s)
    49.3%
  7. The amp

9 vote(s)
    6.5%
  8. Other

9 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. What has the biggest Influence on the sound?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That is such an open ended question. Different things do different things for different people.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    if we are talking materalistic things, i say electronics. It just makes sense. Without electronics, there is no sound :p

4. steve21

steve21 Banned

In my opinion, player, amp, bass, then other stuff.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I voted for fingers. Of course.

6. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
  7. voted fingers.
    then, bass design (thank you Leo).
    amp
    electronics (i prefer passive)
    wood
    strings
    but, the most important thing is, do i look good! lol
    :cool:

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
  9. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR

lol.

I understand why fingers are important... and of course its a very noble thing to say that your fingers determine your sound... as you put it before, no electronics, no sound. Im not advocating being lazy and let your electronics determine your sound, but the notion of your fingers being the biggest influence on sound has always kind of bugged me. i dont mean to offend anyone, of course, and the only reason why i quoted figjam was to say "lol" to what he said.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  11. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    The strings. Without strings, you have NO sound.

12. There are so many variables, but I'd say electronics edges out the others by a slim margin.

Why?

All things being equal, two different players on an EB-O will not sound like Jaco, even if they play very much like him.

You may hear Jaco's signature phrasing, but you won't hear the "burp," due to the different position of the pickup(s) on the different basses. (Jazz & EB-O)

That's my spin.

Mike

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    IMHO, it's fingers, followed closely by the pickups.

14. gambit0714

gambit0714

May 19, 2004
    Suffolk, VA
    The fingers are the key. It's not all the bass, or your pickups, or the bridge, or the strings, As much as it is your fingers.
    Face it if your finger work sucks the sound sucks.
    If the fingers are funky the sound is funky.

Just MHO.:smug:

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

+1

16. +1!!!!

17. +1! (The other big factor that nobody ever considers)...

(Note to Blackbird - your signature is correct...ergo, my "nihil est facile" - "Nothing is easy")

18. this is a good topic and one ive been thinking about quite a bit. i mean, really, how do we know what a bass really sounds like? i mean there are so many things influencing the sound:
    the strings, pickups, amp, cab etc. when buying a bass how do you really know what youre getting? :confused:
    sure you can test it accoustically but then you dont play it accoustically do you! and your bass will always sound different when played through different heads and different cabs so what is the true sound?:confused:
    not to side track this thread but why do we have pickups on basses and not a mic under the strings? im sure there is a logical explanation but id like someone to explain it to me.
    :confused:
    :bag:

19. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    if I get a compliment on the sound, then I'm sure it is the player. If someones says it wasn't quite on, it was probably the amp, unless I was going direct, in which case it is the bass, unless it's the bass I almost always use, in which case its the strings, which can be either too new or too old. :)

If you're playing with pa support, the person doing the sound is important, too. There was one one night who would randomly put a pitch shifter on notes I played and it didn't sound good at all!! ;)