What have a got here? Fender Musicmaster

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GroovyBaby, Feb 3, 2018.

1. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby G&L Fanboy Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    My neighbor had this in his basement. I haven't tried to do a set up yet but it plays ok. Frets have lots of wear but still play. Looks like someone painted over a clear coat and the paint is coming off. Clear coat has checking but isn't coming off. Havent touched the truss rod yet. Any idea what this might be worth in current messy condition? How might I take the white paint off without damaging the clear coat?

Attached Files:

Zane DeBord, kobass, JIO and 13 others like this.
  2. Brio

Brio

Mar 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    I’d clean it up and keep it as is. That’s gorgeous.

ICM, J-Bassomatic, Aqualung60 and 6 others like this.
  3. A Future Pilot

A Future Pilot

Feb 18, 2013
    I'm not generally a fan of reliced basses, but I think that looks pretty dang cool!

Operation Ivy and krfoss like this.
  4. GroovyBaby

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    And it isn't mine. I'm just checking it out for my neighbor. Who likes these?

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    What year is it? Assuming it is poly, and the paint is flaking that badly, is the poly thick enough for careful scraping/sanding, and the polishing the finish?

6. neo 7

neo 7 The bass player doesn't get a sandwich

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I like Musicmasters
    FB_IMG_1515723444789.jpg
    I discovered Musicmasters in 2012 and you could get them for $500 on ebay. I got the one in the pic in July 2017 for $650. It was the cheapest I had seen in a while so I jumped on it.

Pdaddy1978 and GroovyBaby like this.
  7. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    I never tried using my compressor hose for instrument cable. Great idea! Do you get a tighter sound?

ICM, J_Bass, GroovyBaby and 1 other person like this.
  8. neo 7

neo 7 The bass player doesn't get a sandwich

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Helps the speakers move more air.:)

ICM, mcbc, ELG60 and 6 others like this.
  9. Wow. If you figure out what he wants "as is" shoot me a PM. Interested

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  10. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Haha!

11. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Worth around $200 to the right buyer.

GroovyBaby likes this.
  12. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    '77-'78, US made. Priced up in the $800-$900 range on Reverb, but those are original and in much better condition. This one has a replaced bridge & pickup. The neck & tuners are probably worth $200-$300.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  13. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    Now that's what I call patina. Clean off the dirt, put on a new set of strings, set it up, and make music with it.

14. GroovyBaby

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    Thanks For The Info evryone! Any suggestions for getting the white paint off? It comes off separate from the clear coat underneath.

15. shodan

shodan

Mar 23, 2005
    Central Midwest
    You have to assume that it's nitro under the white. I can't think of much that would remove the white and not take the clear with it. You might try heating it with a heat gun in an inconspicuous place (neck pocket) and see if the white will curl up so you could rub it off with a towel. You could carefully scrape it with a plastic razor blade or something similar. No real pressure, but it might get the loose edges to flake.

GroovyBaby likes this.
  16. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Noteworthy that the pick guard is intact, as that was usually the first thing to break on this model -- usually down by the jack.

17. Davbassdude

Davbassdude

Mar 16, 2012
    Florida
    My first decent bass in 1972 was a used Musicmaster bought for $80 at Star Music in Caldwell, N.J. for my 12th birthday. It was ripped off out of my basement a couple of years later and every time I see one with an Ivory finish, I wonder: Is that the one?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  18. I bought on that beat in 2013? Paid $300.

19. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    A 1978 Musicmaster was my first bass. I bought it sometime around 1982 for $175 from a music store. I barely knew what a bass was at that time, just knew I wanted to play in a band. I certainly didn't know that it was short-scale (30") or that is was marketed as a student/children's instrument. It wasn't long before I traded it (plus cash) for a 1983 Squier Precision Bass (MIJ) that I should have held onto. Anyway, these Fender Musicmasters are nice little players, a definite step up from the MII Broncos being sold today.

20. Looks like a Schaller bridge.
    Those are rather pricey.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021