Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What have I done with my Basslines???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Filip, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Filip

Filip

Feb 13, 2003
    Sweden, Uppsala
    Hi!

First of all i need to say that I’m really embarrassed….

Ok. I own a Steinberger with Seymour Duncan Basslines soapbars (phaze) and an active 3-band circuit (also Basslines).

This happened a couple of days ago. I was trying to instead of using 9 volt use 18 since I thought that would work. So I hocked up two 9 volt batteries to the bass, but it didn’t sound anything. I switched back to a single 9 volt battery, and NO SOUND. I might have by mistake mixed the terminals of the batteries. I wonder: what have I’ve blown up? Have I blown up something? Is it the pickups, the pot, or the circuit card?

I’m so mad at myself.

Hope someone can help.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I doubt you did anything to the pups or pots - they'll run on anything. The board I don't know about but I'd be suprised if 18 v did anything there as well. I'd check for the obvious: Isolate that the problem is in the bass, loose wire, jack. But you can check the pups with a voltmeter - if you get continuity, you've got no problem.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, according to the SD website you can use 18v with their onboard preamps ok.

I'm wondering how you did the move to 18v? Did you wire another battery clip in, joining the old battery -ve to the new battery +ve and putting the new -ve to the jack?

Or did you wire up a harness with three battery clips? This is the easiest reversible way to run at 18v.

Next part of that is what did you do to reverse the conversion?