Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What have I done?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by monsterweights, Sep 17, 2002.

1. I put a Bart J9 in my fretless last week, and I love the way it sounds, but I may have wried it wrong. Even though
    I bought it new, it came with mo instructions. I assumed the bare, braided wire was the ground, and the coated
    wire wot the hot one. Did I install them wrong? It sounds great, but I have very little volume control. It's like the
    volume pot is not functional until I have it 90% up, then the pickup turns on full blast. Bartolini's web site is no
    help at all, and they only accept support questions via fax machine. Thanks,
    Mark:mad: :confused: :confused:

2. braided= ground, insulated = hot seems like a sensible guess to me.

It sounds more like you wired it up to the pot incorrectly. Why don't you decscribe the wiring layout, and maybe someone can help.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Bartolini 9J pickups have very low output. I suspect that is why you have very little contol over your volume. Most people only use 9J's with an active on-board preamp.

To solve your problem, you may wish to...

Install an active preamp...

or...

See if you can exchange the 9J's for something with more output, like 9W4J's.

I hope this helps...