Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What have you lost for the bass

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Antipop, May 4, 2003.

1. I am just curious what bass playing has cost you over the years... not money wise, but people, jobs, things like that, more on the emotional level.

To me, bass playing gets in the way of what seems all of my relationships, friendships and/or interaction with most people... kind of sad if you ask me.

anywho, just curious how it affects your life, kind of the bad parts of playing

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    School. Since I have taken up my bass, My good grades have all sunk to Cs, It's not that I don't want good grades, or that I'm incapable. It's just, when I am sitting in my room thinking "I gotta do this homework" a melody, or idea will pop into my head, and I have to execute it on my bass, once I have experimented with it for a while, I continue to practice, and work-out other things. the result, I run out of time and barely get any homework done. I still ace all my tests(pretty much) but the homework just isn't happening.

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    it has cost me several friends...but they were a**es anyway....whenever they wanted to hang out i would say i couldn't cecause of band practice...they said that they were getting sick of and and it was either them or bass....i said bye bye

bp13

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I lost my last girlfriend do to a mixture of bass playing and computer games.

She would call, and I would talk to her, but I would be doing one of those things, usually bass playing, she would tell me to stop and talk to her... but I wouldn't.

She cheated on me, then dumped me on valentines of '02.

oh well....

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Au Contraire my friend, for me at least, bass has made me GAIN contact with lots of interesting musician/non-musician people... but maybe that's me.

so i don't really know what you are talking about but i sure hope things get well for you :)

Edit: but to me bass ranks lower to Med school and friends... so :meh:

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, I have definitely gained more than I have lost with bass. I mean who needs school anyway :spit: :D

7. WR: I stopped going to school when I first started to play just to improve, I am now on my extra year of High School to graduate

MM: Everytime someone calls, I will play the bass. I am so unsociable

8. my friendships are closer though fewer but Iv always been a quality over quantity kind of guy. I also have made more friends that are musicians lately

9. I lost my girlfriend of 11 months last year becasue she thought i spent too much time with the band. She has since then realized that music is a big part of me and we are going back out again, so i guess this isnt that bad a story. Sorry.

10. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i have time for my best friends

its just those friends i was ok with losing cuz all they wanted to to is get high and wasted...

no offense to those who do that all the time

bp13

11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Sorry, no losses only gains. :)

I have missed a bunch of TV soaps every rehearsal night though.

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm sure I've missed a note a couple times, maybe even a beat, but whatever happens happens. :D

13. I live in another state now. I miss my family and friends in Colorado. I have almost have lost the best love of my life but I would not have met her whithout my ability to play bass. My friends seem fewer and fewer but being a musician seems to get rid of the bad ones. I do believe that my relationship with my family has gotten better since I am away from home and I have learned a lot about myself and my past.

I do think I have gained a lot more from playing bass! It pays my rent and I can't think of anything I would like to do more than playing a gig.

14. The Navigator

The Navigator

May 17, 2001
    Tucson, AZ
    I've both lost and gained a lot.

I've lost a couple girlfriends because they hated my band schedule. But I also met my now wife at a show.

I got fired from a job when I was 18 because I was growing my hair long for my band. And I quit more than one because the wouldn't give me time off for practice or shows. But as a result, I always took crappy part-time jobs instead of a real career, and I spent the free time writing my book, which I recently sold, something I'd never have done--indirectly--if it hadn't been for my bass.

But some of the best friends I've made come from our mutual love of music. I've also lost some great friends because of crap with bands breaking up.

15. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

nahhh, too easy :p

16. bass has cost me my family, my future, my friends, god, my girlfriends, school...

i have married my bass.

17. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    High-frequency hearing.