What have you spent on strings alone in the last year?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Walbodiddy, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Less than $100

55 vote(s)
  2. $100 - $249

50 vote(s)
  3. $250 - $500

12 vote(s)
  4. More than $500

10 vote(s)
  1. The "What's your arsenal worth?" thread in the Bass forum started me thinking about what I've spent on strings alone, thus this poll... :)

I come in at around $385/year changing my 5-string Elixirs monthly at $32/set (knowing managers is a nice thing).
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    :rolleyes: ummm...[​IMG]

let's see...

• 2 sets of T/I Jazz Flats
      2 sets of T/I Jazz Rounds
      2 sets of T/I Acousticores
      4 sets of Rotosound RS88-LDs
      2 sets of Rotosound RS88-ELs

Christmas ;) ( strings make the perfect gift, n'cest pas?)

various "experiments" with extra light-gauge DR Sunbeams and LongNecks,
      DM SR-2000's, Pyramid Flats and Rounds, Labella tapes, D'Addario Chromes...
    I plead the fifth! :p
  3. $385 in strings?! I hope thats Yehn!

I spend $3,000...sike,no

4. I tihnk I've spent around.. $180~ since Jan - but then, I have now enough strings to keep me going 'till past this time next year :D

I bought a bulk load of 3 sets of SW3000's, two sets of different r/s's, a set of DR LoBeams, as well as single random strings. :)
  5. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Around the £50 mark I think.
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    hmmmm.... bass strings in the last 12 months....

carry the 3...

solve for Pi.....

root the square....

OK total comes to ...... $0.00

my last purchase was DR hibeams in late 2001. I did get a set of SIT flats from Brian Barrett in barter for some web stuff back last fall (they are still getting sweeter everyday). I'm hitting about $50 per year combined on my acoustic and electric guitars
  7. Too much, however much it is.

Why O why can't I find a set of strings that I really really like, so I can have them on for more than a year, without snapping one?!?
  8. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    :eek: you can't be serios!!!! you'd better hide that, someone might try and steal him off of you.

oh, and i spend around 50 or so on strings a year, couple sets of Ernie Ball rounds.
  9. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Last year I spent... around $170 on 5 sets of DR Hi-beams, and a set of TI flats. :meh:

I'm still have a pack of the hibeams, but I'll prolly make my yearly order in a few weeks.
  10. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I usually spend about 200 a year but if I start buying TI flats for my six that figure is going to go up a lot.
  11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Over thirty years, many, many, many thousands of $$$. The DB strings especially. I just write 'em off on my taxes, but I wouldn't mind an endorsement deal with Thomastik.
  12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    4 sets @ 15 = 60 Euro
  13. I spent $280 alone in May last year!! But that bought me 36 packs of Dean Markleys. I have went through about 8 packs since then. When I start to run out, the guys at DM told me to get ahold of them for an endorsment.-Can't wait for that day.:)
  14. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Absolutely nothing! I put a set of Labella Stainless Steel Deep Talkin' Bass Rounds 44-110 gauge on my bass back in October 2000 and they're still going strong. Awesome fat growly tone with plenty of top. It's so nice to have an instrument whose sound doesn't become less bright as the weeks go by.

15. Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA

Whoa! You know the manager, and you're still paying $36 for a set of bass strings?? Would I be correct in assuming you must be playing several hours a day, almost every day of the week, and gigging five night's a week to have to replace your strings monthly? Or; are the Elixers still as bad as they were when they sent me a free set a couple of years ago to try out, and then send them my feedback?
    I'm guesstimating the cost of strings this past year has about $60 total... I too know a manager.

Alex, I looked into the LaBella's "Deep Talkin" strings before deciding to go with some nickel wounds for a show I'm currently in rehearsals for... 56 numbers with a half-dozen, at best, in the early / mid 70's rock n' roll days. The rest are pre-seventies and several of them are from the Apollo / Motown days with James Jamerson laying down his usual 'wicked' basslines.

michael s.
  16. Ziggy,

Well, this is going to be short because my entire first reply was lost... :mad:

I get them for $32 a set after tax, which is expensive but a lot better than the $49 (pretax) they're marked for.

At this point, I don't know if I'm just a brightness freak or if I haven't tried enough strings. As I said before, I use the Elixirs because they're the first string I've found that retain their brightness longer than two weeks in spite of my profuse sweating and considerable amount of playing (though not as much as you made out :) ).

I think I'm going to look into some DRs or LaBellas, as I've heard quite a few say they lasted well.
  17. Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA

I agree, you are getting a decent discount... just thought, knowing someone 'on the inside', you'd be getting them at or just over "dealer cost"??

Elixer sent me a free set - (4) four strings, to try out and evaluate;
    - I couldn't keep them tuned
    - Playing 'natural' harmonics was near impossible
    - The 'rubbery' coating didn't wear evenly - resulting in a different feel all along the length of the string.
    Frankly, perhaps the underlying reason you're changing strings so often, I couldn't stand to have them on my bass any longer than month either;^o

They receieved my evaluation form and contacted me regarding the same. Apparantly, they'd been getting back some very favorable feedback from other evaluators, and suggested the strings I'd received may have been a fluke?? They offered to send me another set to try, of which I agreed to give em another shot ... never heard from them again.

Except for this show I'm performing in starting the near the end of this month, I've used Dean Markley "Blue Steels" (.45 - .105), and have no reason to try anything else.

michael s.
  18. I change my Elixir's about 3 times a year.
  19. Oh, he's in one other band as well as mine, but, hey, I'm in three bands at the moment.:cool:

Anyway, I've spent maybe £100 (~$150?) on strings in the past 12 months - like I said, I love the sound of dead flats, but I've only just found a set I *really* like - GHS Brite Flats.