1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What head did you come back to?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matt11, Oct 11, 2018.

1. matt11

matt11 Supporting Member

May 19, 2006
    Montreal
    I just re-acquired a USA Eden WT550 after a few years of mostly playing a DB750 and then a Genz ShuttleMax 12.0. Those are both great amps, albeit different ends of the tone spectrum, but for me, a p-bass into a WT550 into a couple Acme Low B2s is tone heaven—smooth, rich, punchy. What a great, great head. What head did you come back to after a long break? Why?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  2. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    GK700RBII, 4 times. Not flashy, not the latest thing, not ultralight, doesn't have footswitchable things I would never use anyway, same old power rating.
    It does have an intuitive EQ, plenty of preamp gain, plenty of power, won't vibrate off your cabinet and sounds just right for me especially when you hit that ride the rails power sweet spot.

I bought my most recent one brand new and don't plan to let it go. Yes I will buy other amps that offer me something the GK doesn't do but I will very likely come back to the 700.

And yes the WT550 is a really great amp.

3. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    I agree with both of you - great, classic amps!
    I’m back with a Mesa M6. The immediate slam and presence keeps me grinning.

aproud1 likes this.
  4. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I keep coming back to my Mesa Walkabout. Have plenty of other amps that are also quite nice (Subway D800+, Demeter, SVT 6pro, Fender Studio, PF500) and have owned dozens of others over the years. I can get great tone out of all of them, but when I plug into the Walkabout it just puts a smile on my face and makes my ears happy.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  5. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    SVT

bobyoung53 likes this.
  6. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    What’s that?

7. Orange AD200. I’ve tried Darkglass, Mesa, Ampeg, Sunn, Fender, other Oranges, Trace Elliot, and Reeves. Still can’t find another amp that suits me more.

8. I have a MarkBass Jeff Berlin 151p combo, but i prefer my amp at church, a SWR350 and a old SWR 410 if it was here I would take pictures. But I leave it at church. I have had it over 10 years still rocks, I am sad stupid Fender shut them down.

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The SVT. I went about 25 years without an all-tube one.
    20181013_223541.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    bobyoung53 likes this.
  10. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    20181014_080933.
    But I'll be damned if I'm going to schlep it about...Class D for that noise!

Attached Files:

11. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

Aug 29, 2010
    ELG60 likes this.
  12. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    After trying a bunch of 5 lb, 500 watt, lightweight heads, I came back to the Shuttle 6.2. Initially, the first light weight head I got was the Shuttle 6.0. That also includes every Shuttle Series amp, including the Shuttlemax 12.2 head, which I still own and use depending on the size of the gig and PA support. In my opinion, the Genz Benz amps are bullet proof, and easy to get a very usable tone without a lot of knob twiddling.

13. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Back to a TH500 after a long road of trying out several different heads... Mesa, Trickfish, Demeter, Tech 21, and many more. Nothing really wrong with any of those heads, the Aguilar is just home. Plus it gets me into my DB751's territory and is much easier to transport.

14. Never left mine, going on 42 years.

15. Jule Monique for me. No micro head comes close.

16. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    When I sell gear it's because I've replaced it with something better, so when I've moved on, that's it!

Err. . . . I sold my Thunderfunk (750 with the 800 mods) last year. . . . and bought it back this year. I've never done that before but I'm really happy to have this amp back.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    hennessybass and aproud1 like this.