what head do you use with your GS112's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

I use an SWR bass 350 (red face) right now, but am interested in checking out other lightweight heads, possibly an AG500 or thunderfunk TFB550. Anyone use an all-tube amp with these cabs?
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Hi, I use to own a swr 350 (silver w/o subwave) and then ran my first RBI as a preamp with the 350 as my power amp, then I sold the 350 and teamed ther Tech21 RBI with a stewart 1.2 (1200 into 4ohms) with my gs112 and gs112nt and it sounds great to me! stewart is lightweight (11 lbs) and powerfull. it can also be run 200w/ch stereo in to 8ohms.

I actually own 2 gs112s, 1 gs112nt, 2, yes two RBI's and 2, yes two stewarts. and I have not regreted it one moment!!!

p.s. I run two rigs....I'm trying to create two almost identical rigs so I can leave one at church, one at home....MY BACK!!!

P.P.s. if you mean the aguilar ag500 its a nice head. I heard one a little comparing the gs112 with a gs112nt. As far as I know its a very clean head that will reveal the good AND bad in your bass tone, and may NOT be able to cover up alot of sonic shortcomings in your bass guitar. the RBI has a huge range of tone shaping that will help lesser guitars, amps and cabs sound more useable. does that make sense?
  3. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    i use a Mesa Walkabout. Tons of tone. I also played out of a Ag500 at a store and it sounded so sweet, just wish i was able to turn it up a bit. I just wish the Walkabout had a bit more power.
  4. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I use an SVPCL (tube) pre amp and a Yamaha P2500s (SS)power amp with my GS112 and GS112NT. Love the tone but someday I will get a lighter power amp.
  5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I use the DB359 with the 112s. Love it!! I used to have a WT300 which was also a good combination
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    woah, pick, that must be a lil' rig o' sickness.

and while i've heard nothing but good things about the Thunderfunk, the AG500 is terrific with a stack of GS112s. heard this setup at my local GC, and dangnabbit, if i didnt wanna walk out with that rig!
  7. I own a GS112 and GS212. I use a GK 1001RB-II to power them - very punchy!
  8. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I use an Alembic F-1X/PLX 1602 for one pair of GS112s and an Ampeg SVT III Pro for the other pair.

9. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    SVP Pro/power amp with a Jazz does it for me.
  10. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I've never tried the Thunderfunk with the GS112s, but just got one to run with my Bergantino 112 stack and it absolutely kills. Can't see myself ever needing another head. This head has all of the good (tight, punchy, warm yet clear, powerful) with none of the bad. All of that for a reasonable price, great service and lightweight ease of use - you can't beat it IMHO...