Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what head for my SWR 8x8?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowfrez, Feb 10, 2002.

1. I'm running my henry the 8x8 with a ampeg svt3-pro, and i HATE the tone, IMO it's too "gritty" and not to mention, way too underpowered.

I'm looking for a head or seperates that will bring out the tone of my stingray5 fretless, without coloring it too much.

I've been looking at Eden, SWR, and carvin heads.

please help!!!,

Gary

2. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Well, I can help a little. I use a carvin r600, and it sounds like poop. Well, maybe not poop, but I do have a few problems with it. With all the features on the amp, I just can't get a "great" tone from it. I guess it's a good deal for the $. I will say that it has a great compressor. I would go SWR SM-900.
    Power, clarity, usefull features, and GIRTH!

3. A great match for the Henry 8x8 is an
    SWR SM 500 or SM 400-S, as recommended by SWR. I've used this combination for a couple of years and it's very loud and reliable.
    Professional tone at it's best.

You can get an SWR SM 400-S (the 500 watt RMS min. version) for reasonable prices, used.

[​IMG]

Kelly at SWR uses this rig as well...

BTW - I have used this exact system (SM-400S & Henry 8x8) myself for the last 9 years, and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Best Regards,
    Kelly/SWR

4. Thanks for the feedback guys,

Have you ever tried an Eden head with your (8x8) cabinet ?

I was looking into the WT-400 also

5. I use a WT-300 with my 8x8 and it sounds great and it's loud...but....I need more headroom. I'm debating going with either a new SM-500 or a Bass 750. I need to A/B both heads first but I'm wondering if the 750 will be too much for the 8x8. I'll be watching this thread closely over the next few days.

6. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i use a bass 750 with the henry. sounds great. you might consider an interstellar overdrive pre with a power amp - a carvin or a crown or something. you could hook that up for under 1k...

7. Donne's got the right suggestion for ya, there are lots of Sm400s heads floating around for around 600 bucks although I wouldn't sell mine for that. Its a great head, and many prefer it to the newer version SM500 in terms of build quality etc. And it is a perfect match for the 8x8

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

i've always been thinking about selling the 2x10 and the triad for an 8x8 (or goliath sr). i'd rather have the 8x8, but i don't know how quick i'd blow out the speakers with running my dcm1000 bridged into it. is the cab so loud that i wouldn't come close to overpowering it?

jason

9. I am in the process of looking for a sm400, but the only place i see them is on ebay. I'm trying to stay away from that site, because i've had bad experiences with it.

But, the IOD with a power amp sounds like a good idea...............how clean of a tube sound does it produce?

also, anyone used a grandprix with a henry?

10. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    well, i haven't had my 750 past gain 7 vol 7 with the 8x8, but i have a feeling if i went any further the drivers would fly thru the grill. the thing is, ideally i would never have to crank it that high, right? in that case it was in the basement of an old house with odd shaped walls, so i'm at least 80% sure the acoustics had something to do with it - i could hardly hear myself, but a friend who was standing outside told me i was loud as nutz. on a different occasion, i had it set on 5/5 in the grand ballroom of the mariot in atlanta (BIG room - no pa at that point), and could easily keep up with a loud drummer throughout the room. (ran the di to the board for the gig though) i think it would be ideal if you could somehow borrow one for a gig or two and see how it works out for you...depends if you've got pa support and how loud your stage volume usually is, i guess. so to answer the question 'is it loud?' i'd have to say 'sort of.'

i fear 1000w bridged into that cab could be a little much though...it's rated at 480...i exceed the rating by 50% - you would exceed it by more than 100%! but that probably wouldn't matter unless you cranked it, which you may or may not have to do depending on pa/stage vol and room acoustics, ime.

sorry for rambling - hope you got something out of it. :)

11. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I saw an SM-400S for $600 in the "For Sale" classifieds here on TB.

12. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i love my sm 400s. i would love to try an 8x8 with it. i've got a 1x15 with a 6" tweeter in it right now and i'm hoping to add a 2x10 to this setup.

13. what do you think the henry would sound like with a WT-400, do you think that'd be enough headroom, for a moderately loud acousitc rock band with a drumset.

14. Definately the SM-900!! I have the SM-900 with the SWR Goliath Sr, and it is beyond perfect!!!

For real!!

15. I'd go for a SM-900 if i had the $$$$. I'd like to buy a head for under 1000$

16. I think that would be fine. I have no problem being heard with my WT-300 against 2 50 watt half-stacks, drums, keys and vocals but I am pushing the amp a little bit too much for my liking, the output limit light is on more than I'd like it to be.

17. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    Try the GK 700RB. Only 350 watts, but very efficient and seems to have considerably more headroom than the SWR bass 350.

18. Bibby

Bibby Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2000
    i use an ashdown 500 abm into my swr senior. the perfect blend of old and new tones. the ashdown kicks.

19. Congratulations!

Give us a quick review when you've had time to put it through some paces/