Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What head has the Fattest sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by James reeve5, Apr 22, 2003.

1. I need a head with a fat bottom... I would like to go for a Steffan Lessard sound, but I do not really like the tonal qualities of the Ampegs, because I don't like the surplus of mid in it. Could someone please do a quick rundown of all the heads that can give a fat bottom, decent treble, and low mid for me?

2. when i went to bass nw looking at preamps, the guys recommended the ashdown, saying that he could get it to sound like anything he wanted to. I was looking for the nothing but fat, warm, and juicy tone of a b15...

3. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I Prefer a GK and let my Bass add the calories.

Other than that I Like the Ashdown stuff

4. HARTKE 4000

Warwick 411 Pro Bass Cabinet (600 watts)

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    when i think of a head that can give a big FAT tone, i think Aguilar.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Either;

- Aguilar
    - Alembic
    - Rosie O'Donnell

I'm sure there are others I haven't had tried, like Rose O'Donnell....but I'm pretty sure about that one.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You may also want to check out the Mesa M-Pulse line. These use a tube preamp, and then have a second 12AX7 driving the MOSFETs. I have the smallest one, the 300w Walkabout, and it is a tone machine. It can get very warm (even overdriven, if you want), or it can be fairly "hi-fi", with a touch of tube polish. They also make the M-Pule 360 and 600. From what you are describing, I think that any of these heads would nail the tone you are going for pretty much right out of the box. However, if you desire, they have a ton of tone shaping possbilities, with Bass, Mid, Treble, plus 3 bands of semi-parametric EQ on the Walkabout and 5 bands of semi-parametric EQ on the 360/600 (which also have a killer compressor).

Do a search for past threads on the Walkabout and M-Pulse from Mesa Boogie (Mesa Engineer, whatever). They just might be the ticket for you.

Hope this helps, Tom.

8. 3rdEye

3rdEye

Nov 30, 2002
    CA.
    I've recently played through the Aguilar DB750 and WOW ! I am sold. It's a very fat, full, smooth, warm yet still hi-fi sounding hybrid head. Now I just have to find a way to cough up the Dough to buy one.:D
    The Eden WT800's are pretty nice too.

9. I'll second the m-pulse, very fat, very Rosie :eek: :D

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

My vote goes to the Mesa M2000

11. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Kern IP-777 preamp

12. I'll third that!!!

I got one, and it is SICK!

BIG tones, Big impact. its super versatile and great sounding in any mode.

13. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Mesa/Boogie M-2000.

14. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    i like Ashdown

15. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    Yet another vote for the mesa boogie m-pulse

16. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I'd say:

Aguilar- My DB359 has some serious bottom, but if you're in an insanely loud band, the 750 would be a better fit.

Ashdown- Me like, me like!

Mesa- Ever heard Justin Chancellor live... Whoa, some very deep hittin' bass.

17. Any modern decent quality head will do what you want, just eq it accordingly. The speaker cab(s) is probably more important for acieving that sound.
    BTW, do you realise that big bottom, big tops, and no mids = no-one will hear you, except you?

18. How bout this one?

[​IMG]

19. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    hey, I just tried a hartke 3500 head, and WOW! Fatness like I;ve never heard

20. damoN17

damoN17 Guest

Apr 26, 2003
    AZ
    MOBASS

use the subwave, use the tube overdrive, use the EQ, it will make the bass pull the carpet off the floor.

no other amp has such a nice subwave, although ASHDOWN has one, as does SWR 7XXX series, the mobass one sounds like an analog keyboard.

thats PEE AITCH AAA TEEE PHAT.