What head is for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brake, Feb 26, 2004.

1. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    My style is a mix of stuff, like

Geddy Lee
    Jaco Pastorius
    Geezer Butler
    John Entwistle
    John Paul Jones
    Cliff Burton
    any of Mercyful Fates bassists

I'm very much a jazz/blues/rock player, I do VERY little slapping (none at all most of the time) & I play with my fingers.

I will be using it with my Avatar B210 @ 8ohms.. probably going to put a Sansamp BDDI infront of it, and as for basses I'll be using my Spector, SX, Epiphone, and my in-progress custom (EMG equipped.. so you'll have an idea of the bass tone).

Money is indeed an object, I'd like to spend under 500 bucks if at all possible.. I dont want a terribley high end amp, just something that will be loud, sound good, and not crap out.
  2. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Also, tube or SS, it doesnt matter.
  3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Of course, i'm gonna recommend the Yorkville XS-400H. I don't need to list the features, you know them already. ;) Or, if you can find one used, a Fender Bassman 100 or 135, or a used Traynor YBA-3.
  4. GTI

Nov 27, 2003
    I've recently made a similar decision. First checked in with this forum for opinions and advise (IMO the best-web for bass). Finally decided my style/needs for new amp source. Decided on 700RB-II Gallien-Krueger head with an Avatar 212 cab. Will add an Avatar 210 cab later. You might look at the G-K 400RB-IV head for under $500. Here is the best source I could find for G-K heads: http://www.riksmusic.com/frameset.html
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Take a GK700RB for a test drive. Lot's of power, and great tones come from them. It will fit in your budget if you don't mind used gear.

What about SWR? The 750, or even the 900 with a little extra headroom would be a great choice.

6. For players on a budget, not much can beat yorkville for new products. If you find used, the sky is the limit if you are patient enough. But I use an xs400h and am happy with it. Especially for 1200 bucks canadian for the head and a 410.
  7. I say Ampeg B2R, reasonably priced, good sounding, lots of tone capabilities, built like a tank. Maybe a tad on the heavy side though.
  8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    ...and extremely quiet for 350 watts.