What head should I buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kevlar720, Jul 7, 2005.

1. kevlar720

Jul 7, 2005
    Here is my dillema:

I have a ampeg svt410he (8ohms, 500 watts rms, 1000 peak)

I will eventually be getting a Ampeg SVT18 (4 ohms, 500/1000 watts)

Would it be best to bi-amp these two cabs or what?

I was thinking that an ampeg svt-4pro would be a good head for these two cabs....am i wrong? I'm trying to get the most power i can out of these cabs.
  2. Everything I have heard about ANYTHING ohm/impedence related says DO NOT MIX the ratings. If you are running 8 ohms on one side, run 8 ohms on the other, especially if you are going to bridge them and run a stereo (bi-amp) head in mono. And I am living proof of why you should listen to that rule. I have a Carvin R1000 bi-ampable head and I blew it beyond repair by running a 4 ohm and 8 ohm cabinet at the same time. Mind you, I didn't blow it in one shot, it was continuous usage, but just be really careful if you are going to do it.

In any case, to answer your question. The SVT 4-Pro should be good enough to run anything. And with mixed impedence, you should probably bi-amp.
  3. kevlar720

Jul 7, 2005
    Exactly what i was worried about! I think the easiest thing to do would just get a 4 ohm 4x10 because that would solve all my problems! Thanks! I dont want to deal with two different impedance cabs.
  4. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    You should buy a Peavey Firebass 700. Enjoy.
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If the head is SS, then it will work if the power section is rated down to 2 Ohms, as the rating is 2.6 Ohms. However, the 4 Ohm cab will get more power than the 8 Ohm one.