Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What head should I get???? Newb needs help!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lr134, Jul 20, 2005.

1. lr134

lr134

Jul 4, 2005
    Springfield,Mo
    Hi,
    I've read threads for weeks but still have a newb question. I"m considering getting a SWR Workingmans 4x10 (400w 8ohm) and a SWR 1x15 (200w 8ohm). What would be the best head to get where I get maximum performance from these cabs. These are the cabs I want and wouldn't be adding any in the future. Was looking at SWR 4004. Would this be the best/adequate?
    I'll be buying all these items used in the next few days as my combo just crapped out last practice and the wife gave me permission to upgrade...$1200 budget. Had to sell my boat.. :crying:

Thanks in advance for the help. It is GREATLY appreciated.
    Also, is SWR crap? Hope not.

Thanks,
    Jason

2. lr134

lr134

Jul 4, 2005
    Springfield,Mo
    Sorry...I'm in a metal band..I play a Ibanez EDB605 5string. Guitarists run a Marshall halfstack and the other a 5150 combo..Need to compete..you know....

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    If you like SWR then go for it. I am a big fan of SWR cabs (use a 1x15 and it has a lot of punch and clarity to it) but could never really get into their heads- a little too modern for me.

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    JMO, but with $1200 you can do much better than Workingman stuff.

GK 700RB II + pick an Avatar 2x12 and a 2x10.

or

BBE BMax preamp (or SansAmp RBI) + QSC RMX 850 + Avatars.

www.riksmusic.com has great prices on the amps (don't know if they handle QSC -- Northern Sound & Light or Lord Valve do though).

IMO, any of these combinations will blow the WM stuff away.

5. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm assuming your budget is for the whole rig, not just the head right? I'd recommend an Ampeg SVT4 pro head. You can pick one up used for around $800...and it is a serious beast of a head. A great value, lots of features, tons of power and great tone for metal/rock. I'm not a fan of SWR amps...at least the newer ones anyway. Thier cabs are pretty good though.

Or you could get Avatar cabs, which people rave about here. I've been checking them out lately due to the praise the get around here. Their B210 neo is only $269 brand new, throw that on top of their B115h neo ($249) and youve got a killer rig...for only...well $1300ish. Woops I went over the budget. But that setup would be thunderous.

There are cheaper options that would do the job though...I'm sure others will chime in with more budget friendy suggestions. Good luck :)

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    +1

7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Jason, I think you may have left out some important data, after buying the SWR cabs, how much would you have left to spend on a head? I beleive you said $1200 is your total budget?

as always, buying used is cheaper. But getting the wrong piece of gear at the right price just makes it more expensive in the long run.

A GK head runs $500-$600 new and will power a 4 ohm load very well.
    A Kustom groove head is also a very popluar choice here on TB.

I like the Avatar, Dr Bass cabs route instead of SWR. Much better power handling with more robust speakers than the WM SWR line.

$600 for the head and $600 for the speakers with intelligence and research will get you alot. Take your time.

8. lr134

lr134

Jul 4, 2005
    Springfield,Mo
    Ya, sorry about that..$1200 is my total budget..Going to look at a Ampeg SVT-3 Pro and Peavey 1x15 4 ohm (didn't know the wattage) right now at pawn shop. Asking $600..Opinions???
    Just need something to get me by until I can find what I want...No amp...no practice...

Thanks,
    Jason

9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    svt3pro's are awesome

peavey cabs. eh

10. lr134

lr134

Jul 4, 2005
    Springfield,Mo
    i know..i know....

11. Not read your whole message, but I've read a couple of replies, $1200 and you need an amp...

kustom groove bass

www.kustom.com

Either a combo or a head/cab - that'd probably just about fit your needs with the money available

1200-watt head, 600 watt per cab... what can you loose? - for the price its cool... :cool: :bassist:

12. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    The SVT 3 pro is much better choice than an SWR head IMO.
    I don't think the peavy 15 will be enough on its own, but if you add a 210, 410, or 212 you'd be in business. I'd probably pass on the cab and buy some better quality used cabs, or go with the avatars- with the left over cash.

13. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Yeah, this is the way to go for sure. THey can be had for about $500 new shipped and then you can get a Avatar 2x12 for about ~$300 shipped or a Avatar 2x10 and 1x12 stack (like I have) for about ~$500ish shipped. That's $800 - $1000 (depending on which cabs) for a KILLER 1200 watt MONSTER rig!

14. I have to chime in here. I ran an SVT 3 Pro with an Avatar 2x12 and 2x10 for 2 years. It was a damn fine rig and plenty loud. You can find a 3 Pro for $500-600 used. Avatar 2x10 and 2x12 new will be about $600. There's your $1200 on a pretty damn good rig. I'd totally recommend this setup.

15. lr134

lr134

Jul 4, 2005
    Springfield,Mo
    Well, I bought the SVT-3 PRO for $550...Didn't really want the Peavey 115 but he through it in with the deal. Now I'm thinking maybe I should have / should buy the 1200 wat Kustom Groove head instead. I could sell the SVT-3 PRO on ebay for $500-600 and I thought someone said you could get the KG 1200w head for $500..So that won't really cost me any extra...Anyone agree or disagree???? There aren't any Avatar dealers around here so I'll just take everyone's word on that..Now..what size..I play an Ibanez EDB605 5 string. My concern was that I needed a cab that could handle the low frequency (48hz or something). So, do you think a 2x12 would be adequate or would I need a 1x15. For the mids (something punchy) would I need 2x12 or would 2x10 suffice. Talking Avatar here of course. What's your opinion on a 4x10 cab..Don't really want to carry that thing but I understand there may be some sacrifices..I guess I just need someone to tell me what to buy..
    Again...thanks a million for the help..Everyone here has been really helpful.

Jason

16. You have to go through ebay or negotiate with people to get the Kustom down to 450-500, but you could do it. I've played both and have been really unsatisfied with the volume of the SVT-3, where as the Kustom just has headroom to spare. Your guitarists arent taking it easy on you either so the more power you can get the better. I'm using a Peavey Firebass head (450w) and an Avatar 212 in my metal band and its just loud enough. Another cab will definately be added later on. If you get a 212 and use it with the Peavey cab you got you'd definately be loud enough.

17. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    My opinion:
    You are playing metal. Look for some serious tubage; if you are going to sell the 3-Pro, get the Traynor YBA-200, which sounds great with other-than-stock tubes. Or you could leave the stock tubes in and get some serious OD. These run about $600-$650, and less used, and its 200 watts all tube; comparable to about 800 watts SS. You could probabally also find a Trace V4 for about $500, which would also be awesome. For cabs, check out Avatar or Dr. Bass and get probabally a 212 with a 115 under or a 410 over, or maybe a 410 with a 115.

18. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Good deal. Congratulations!

My advice: Before getting rid of the ampeg for the kustom, I would get another cab to pair with the peavey 15. An avatar neo 210 would be my choice. 210/15 is a great full-range configuration. 410s are awesome, but heavier to lug around (if thats an issue). Also the 410 is probably going to require more power when paired w/ the 15- to really use it to its full potential. Seeing as the SVT 3 pro is 450watts I'd think the 210 would be the better choice. Call up Avatar and see what they reccommend.

You can always upgrade your head later, and swap the peavey for a different cab if you dont like it.

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You need to know the impedence of whatever cabs you get/use & maximize the power output of whatever amp you end up with.

Amps have a minimum impedence they can safely drive (some 4ohm and some 2ohm).

You should find out what the PV cab is and work around that if that's what you plan on using (if the PV is 4ohm and the Ampeg SVT-3 has a 4ohm minimum rating, then you can't drive the PV and another cab with the amp -- without getting into series connections, which will lower the amps output instead of raise it).

20. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    That Traynor YBA200 is next on my amps list...I can just feel the tubey goodness coming out of it already...

btw I play in a hard rock/metal (think Pantera with some Black Label Society dashed) and I dig a nice vintage tone. Nothing touches the sound of an old Sunn rig in my book but this Traynor has been whetting my whistle for a good, afordable, gig worthy tube amp.

If you do pick up that YBA200 or the Kustom Groovebass, which in my book are your only two real contenders, you would have plenty left over for some nice rack gear for the Kustom or some NOS tubes for the YBA200 on top of getting some Avatar cabs which are very nice cabs especially for the money.

If you get an avatar avoid the Delta series like the plauge they don't like detuning very well...