1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What head should I match my soon to own Genz Benz NX2-212T cab with?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Da Funky Fish, Apr 3, 2013.

1. After all the comparing and question asking I went ahead and ordered a Genz Benz NX2-212T. Now, I need to pair it with a head (or two) to get the most of the 500w/4ohm's this cab is rated at. I am primarily in a hard rock situation and was thinking of lightweight heads or maybe one regular head, one small head. I will more than likely be using a SansAmp Paradriver as a stomp box too.

Hartke LH500 w/ ParaDriver in front for sure. I like the simple controls of the amp and have used an LH1000 with an Uber410/SansAmp but lost that rig due to hurricane Sandy.

Aguilar Tone Hammer 500
    Orange Terror Bass 500
    Markbass Little Mark iii
    GK MB500 (though I'm not too keen to the GK signature sound but maybe a SansAmp in front will help)

2. Ampeg PF-500
    Genz shuttle 6 series
    Genz streamliner 600
    Hartke LH500
    Aguilar TH 500
    Carvin BX500
    GK Fusion 500
    Orange TB 500

Any of these may or may not meet your tonal needs, and all of them will drive your cab to its full volume potential.

3. Thanks. I will shy away from the Ampeg PF due to having an SVT 7 Pro that had the shutdown issue (With the 'good' revision as well) and though the replacement SVT7 Pro works good (and may go up for sale/trade) I've also read the PF's may shut when driven hard? I think I'll try other than Ampeg this time.

Genz Benz Streamliner and Shuttle - which is more suited for hard rock?

4. IMHO that will really depend on you. I prefer the Streamliner, but you have to understand its EQ as it is not as intuitive as one might expect.

Dont look past the PF-500. I have had one for a year, and I drive some very demanding cabs with it. I push that little amp VERY hard on a regular basis, and it has not crapped out on me.

5. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Barboursville, WV
    I think all the suggestions from CL400Peavey are good choices for what you're looking for. I'm partial to Aguilar just because that's what my "main" head is but I've had good experiences with the Genz, and GK stuff ( & Markbass).

I haven't played though the Streamliner but I have played the Shuttle (& the 2X12 you have) and i think it would be fine for hard rock.

There will be a bunch of people coming by to say you need to go and try this stuff and see what it sounds like in person and they are NOT wrong. Try what you can.

6. ZC true. I am in NYC and will prob be able to find a few of these heads in store. Probably not the Orange though, hehe.

7. Is the NX2 4 ohms/600W still?

8. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Genz Benz 6.2

9. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    Match it with a GB head. I have the ShuttleMax 12.2 and it pushes my Avatar 212 very nicely. LOUD! I was rattling bottles off the shelf at our last gig. Yes, they told me to turn down.

10. Yes, the NX2 is 4 ohms/600w

11. Anyone know of any NYC shops that have Genz Benz heads in store?

12. My mistake, 4ohm/500w

13. Think it will be ok to run this 600w @ 4 ohm head even if the cab is 500w @ 4 ohms?

14. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I'm pretty sure that cab is 4ohm 600W.

On head selection, I use a Streamliner 900 and plan to get that cab to use with it. A friend of mine here uses the older version of it and drives it with a Shuttle 6.0. He has my favorite bass tone around here.

15. Dont worry about the power rating of the cab vs the amp too much. Play style and eq will play a bigger part in how hard/lound you can push your cab.

16. Is that what it says on the back?

17. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I use a few years old GB NeoX 212T cab with my Streamliner 900 and a P5 or J5, no PA support in a couple loud-ish classic rock/blues rock bands for past couple years. Even did a few outdoor, again no PA for bass, gigs with this little cab and it put out plenty. Was asked to turn down a couple times. Kept a very clean, tight sound throughout.

I've been eyeballing that new NX2 212 cab. But thinking about going Uber 212 just to try a different cab. NX2 is even lighter than my NeoX cab and mine feels light to me already.

18. Any 500w head will do you good. Tone Hammer, Portaflex, Eden WT550, etc.