1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What head to go with Avatar 2X12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rota, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Rota

Rota

Jun 11, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    Well you guys have convinced me, the Avatar cabs look like the best bang for your buck cabs you can possibly get, so I'm going to pick up the 2x12 pretty soon. I also just got into a really serious band, so it's time to stop using the Fender Rumble 100 as my main amp.

Now I just need a head to go with the cab, and have absolutely no idea where to start. I'd like to spend less than $500. $400 would make me very happy.

Could I get a push in the right direction on what to check out that will go with this cab and meet my price?

2. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    I use an Ashdown MAG300 with mine....sounds like wet, greasy monkey sex.

3. twangchief

twangchief Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    What type of music will you be playing? Will you be running your amp through the PA? Are you getting an 8 ohm or 4 ohm cab?

Maybe some questions that might be helpful for recommending an amp.

Cheers

4. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I use a GK700RBII and A MAG300H with mine and they both sound great. The GK a little better but it will cost you twice as much. But both in your general range....

5. Rota

Rota

Jun 11, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    You can click the link in my sig to hear my band. It's indie-rock. I most likely will not be using a PA, but my band doesn't play out of stacks or anything, they have a couple Fender 2x12 tube amps, one is 60W and one is closer to 100W. I was being drowned out in the lows last night though with my little amp, so it's time to upgrade.

I'm looking to just stick with one cab for a while, so I'd get the 4ohm version.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys!

6. Rota

Rota

Jun 11, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    Don't mean to double post, but does anyone else have a suggestion or opinion?

7. PMC89

PMC89

May 1, 2006
    New Jersey
    buy used!

i just scored an aguilar gs212 and a peavey tmax (500 watts @ 2ohms) head for 750 shipped. can you beat that? i don't think so.

8. Rota

Rota

Jun 11, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    What about the cab, any thoughts on that? I'll be ordering mine Monday when I get paid, and will be looking around next week at used stuff at the local stores. If I don't find anything, the Ashdown looks really tempting.

9. twangchief

twangchief Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    I've used a GK700RBII for two jobs now with a Avatar 210, 4 ohms and I thought my sound was great. It seems the power that the 700RBII puts out is just enough.

GK makes a very versatile bass amp.

10. Paulitics

Paulitics

Apr 12, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I use a GK 400RBIV on my Avatar 212 4ohm, got it used for 325 works great. Plenty of power, very dependable. I think new they are closer to 500 but RMCaudio.com is suppose to have great deals on GK stuff. I also play in a indie rock band. If i had it to do all over again and hadn't found the good deal on the used 400RB. I would have bought a 700RBII from RMC and an 8ohm cab. It is very unlikely that you would really need to crank your amp up to 10 so the extra power you will get with 4ohms is really not worth sacrificing the option of adding another cab for a more diverse tone at some point.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021