Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What head to go with my new cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Saint Bass, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Saint Bass

Saint Bass

Feb 23, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    I finally broke down and got me a Bag End Q10BX-D cab, and it should be here any day now. I don't currently own a head unit so I'm open to a lot of things right now, but I have a few heads in mind, and I'm hoping to get as much feedback as possible. I'm considering the following:

Mesa Bass 400+
    Ashdown MAG 600R
    Orange AD200B (Not too sure about this one; real expensive and I'm not a fan of distortion a lot of the time, but I've heard a lot of good about it)
    Possibly something by GK (RB series)

Also thinking about preamp / poweramp setups, for example:

Ashdown RPM-1 EVO II Preamplifier + Ashdown ABM APM 1000 EVO II Power Amplifier

I don't know a lot about these kinds of setups though. Some more details about the cab: http://www.bagend.com/bagend/q10bx-d.htm

Things to consider:
    800w continuous / 1600w program
    8 ohm impedance

Later on I want to add one or more Bag End 15 or 18 or even 21 inch subs with their INFRA processor or possibly another identical cab like the one I just bought so I'd need a head to accomodate. The subs are also 8 ohm impedance.

I've tried Ampeg and I really didn't like it. I think the cabinet I got had replacement speakers but even then it sounded terrible. It didn't project like I thought it ought to. I found the head unit (SVT4-Pro) to be complex and most of the options to be largely nonfunctional.

So there you have it. I'd really really appreciate any help any of you can give me. Thanks a lot!

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Let me be the first to welcome you to TB. :)

I think the first question people will ask is
    "what kind of music do you play" and what kind of tone
    are you trying to achieve?

What setting are you potentially looking to play in,
    classic rock band, metal, Garage band, Worship band?

Do you typically play with a lot of PA support? Or are
    you expecting to carry the load yourself?

Rooms? Big? Small? Jazz coffee house? Outdoors?

Pray do tell.

What bass do you play?
    Edit: I saw that you play a Jazz on your profile.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Depends on the tone you want. If you want a warm tone, kind of a cross between vintage and modern, go with the Ashdown setup. If you want something more modern, id suggest GK.

4. Saint Bass

Saint Bass

Feb 23, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks for the welcome Thor. And yup, Fender J-Bass player right here.

Ok as far as venue size, the guys I'm playing with next are doing shows in buildings the size of The Pageant and Mississippi Nights if anyone is familiar with St. Louis. The Pageant's stage is 40' x 30' and it's a 2 level staggered seating deal so it's a pretty big place. So the venues are pretty decently sized, but they also do a lot of the smaller clubs too. So I guess I need something I can rely on myself and also works well with heavy PA support. That probably doesn't say much though. :confused:

I personally play almost any style, I can set up that bass for anything from traditional jazz to thrash metal and all points in between. This group I'm joining up with is more in the punk / rock / emo vein but I don't really want an amp that can only do that style. I guess I want something versatile but not too complicated, I do a lot of my tonal setup with the on board EQ. I normally lean on the side of a big, fat, beefy bass tone than a clangy, thin one. Most of the artists that endorse Mesa that I like have huge, fat, chunky, heavy sounds that I really like.

I read that Ampeg SVT-4 Pro sounds almost identical to the Mesa 400+ at flat EQ and I didn't like the Ampeg sound very much. Any opinions or thoughts?

Does anyone have any experience with the Bag End cabs? It'd be especially helpful to find out how some bass heads play with them.

5. Saint Bass

Saint Bass

Feb 23, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Also that Mesa is 500W @ 2ohms and has no other listed impedance. Does that mean it won't work correctly with 8 ohm cabs? Sorry for the newbie-sounding posts, but most all the head/cab setups I have used were bought as a set so I haven't had to learn this yet.

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    The 400+ is actually around 300 watts, contrary to what Mesa has to say. Puts out the same power at 2, 4, and 8 ohms, as all (I think) tube amps do.

7. Saint Bass

Saint Bass

Feb 23, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    So the amplifier can have a lower impedance than the speaker, you just can't mix ohm ratings on different cabinets on the same rig? :D

8. you can mix cabs as long as you don't mind the lower rated cab being louder and you don't drop below the minimum impedance of the amplifier.

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Not true with the Mesa 400+ or any other tube amp. The Mesa can take any combinations of cabs equating to 2, 4, or 8 Ohms, as well as some mismatched ones. I currently run an 8 Ohm and 4 Ohm cab into mine, 1 in the 2 Ohm out and 1 into the 4 Ohm out like Mesa told me. Works fine. Although it really is 300 watts, its all tube and will be plenty loud.

10. What's wrong about what I said? As long as the total load doesn't drop below 2 ohms, you're fine. Right?