1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What head to pair with my Berg NV412?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alexander, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Have played a Mesa Walkabout with my NV412 for the past year and really liked it. But recently picked up a Berg HD212 and feel it is a much better match for that head. Just fatter and smoother all around - great for my country, rock, blues band. I want to keep the NV 412 - it's such a great cabinet, but would like to find a new head for it, so I can have a big rig and a small rig. I like the tone big, thick, fat, warm and rich - not sterile or super grindy. I play a Sadowsky strung with flats - no slap or pick style and no lead playing. Pretty fundamental and supportive approach.

Been thinking about a DB751 or maybe a tube head like a Fender Super Bassman or even a Reeves. Ideas?

2. craigb43

craigb43

Nov 20, 2007
    Oregon
    These are great heads , I am having one built right now , great all tube head. Not Ampeg or new Fender , I could have gone that route and have tried the Jaguar at NAMM for the last 2 years and love it . The fact that is is built to order and not on a assembly line and Henry the builder is a great guy and easy to talk with whenever you need . I use all Berg cabs as well and bought his jaguar 200 head and his 4 10 cab. You should talk to him , here is the link http://www.jaguaramplification.com/

3. Seriously check out a Aguilar ToneHammer 500. You would be amazed what that head can do.

4. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    What do they sound like? Not heard of them before...

5. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Never played thru a Berg 412 but I do own and play thru a Berg NV610 and a Berg HT322 and both sound incredible with my Ampeg SVT-VR head. I had the Aggie DB750 with the Berg610 at one time but the SVT took its place. That was several years ago and I haven't looked back since, no regrets.
    If the SVT-VR isn't to your liking take a look at the GK line up, I've been very impressed with the output of those as well.

6. craigb43

craigb43

Nov 20, 2007
    Oregon
    He is actually a bass player although he builds allot of guitar amps , he used to play thru the old blue line ampegs and modeled his bass amp after that tone . I found it to be with that head and cab real nice and warm and clear not muddy at all nice tight bass. I tried all the others and really liked the old school approach he uses on these and talked to a few guys that play them and have toured with them for a year plus . The reliability according to all those guys and tone is just great . He uses all the best components for the build . The Fender has more bells and whistles for sure but I want simple and reliable and it is not quite as heavy and that head and cab for a all tube rig will be pretty easy to get around. I spent a lot of time at NAMM the last 2 years trying all three where its super loud all around you and just liked the sound of his the best. He just came out with another 100 watt head as well and is revamping his site so soon there should be more info out there. Just quality gear and I appreciate that and like it , just like the Berg cabs.

7. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Sounds cool - will check his stuff out

8. Forrrest

Forrrest

Mar 10, 2013
    I pair mine with an SVT-VR. sounds great. vintage head tone with a vintage cab tone. it's like they were made for each other. totally owns the ampeg 810.

9. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

Check out the Traynor YBA300. It will give you the tone you seek at a little over 50 lbs with an excellent warranty.

Rezdog

10. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks all. Rez, I need to check out that Traynor - I know nothing about them, but know a of a few people that play them

11. YBA300 into the NV412 is great. But I also REALLY like my Walkabout into it too.
    But- another vote for trying the Aguilar TH500! Seriously good sounds outta that beast.

12. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah - I knew you liked the YBA300 into the NV412. I like the WA into it and some days REALLY like it too. I just think the ported HD212 suits it better for most of what I do. I played a pretty edgy modern rock set thru the NV and it was absolute heaven. With the country, blues thing though I like the extra pillow the HD can give. Very fortunate to have both cabs!

13. craigb43

craigb43

Nov 20, 2007
    Oregon
    I am waiting for Bergintino's new NV15 , I will grab one of those to add to my Berg collection , 2 AE112's and my old heavy trusty HT322 but I have been waiting for a new 15, sounds like his will be nice !