Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What head would you get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Mesa 400+

19 vote(s)
    41.3%
  2. Gallien Krueger 2001RB

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. Ampeg SVT 4 Pro

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  4. Genz Benz GBE600

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  5. Gallien Krueger 1001RB-II

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. Ampeg SVT Classic

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm gonna be playing in a punk band, but I'd like something that will gimme a clean, versatile sound into my Goliath Sr. I promise this is my last post about this. Which is the top choice is what I will go for.

~Patrick

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The Mesa is a beast.....in a good way.

3. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I must say the Mesa is miles above my current SVT4-pro

4. SVT 4, geez what kind of stupid question is that? Do you really want 1400 watts at your disposal? I think so.

5. The Ampeg SVT-4Pro is the most versitile bass head of them all. People pick the mesa because of it's tube preamp and tube poweramp. The ampeg may lack the tube power, but the mesa lacks features that the ampeg has. The mesa would also be much more costly in maintaining the tubes and replacing them. Power is power to me and a tube power section is just too costly. The ampeg has the compressor, a 9 band graphic eq along with the 3 rotary eq and the 5 different mid settings. You can get any punk sound you want out of it. The heads a just about the same price but the mesa puts out only 500 watts, the ampeg puts out 1200. The ampeg has much more other controls that you will find very useful. :D

6. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I will tell you right now that the mesa is louder than the ampeg. The mesa has a lower power rating but still puts out more volume. As for tube replacement cost... Who cares? You're buying a pro model head... Would you rather have something lesser that costs nothing to maintain or poney up the cash to keep a great sounding amp running. Myself I'd rather have a porsche that costs 200 bucks an oil change than a ford explorer at 20 bucks.

The ampeg does win in the features department as the MESA is designed to be a barebones roomshaking piece of equipment. If you like having a 10 million band EQ then be like me and buy one.

Don't get me wrong. The Ampeg is a very very very sweet head (I own one). But after trying the Mesa I think there is a new winner in my head.

If it were a matter of #'s the ampeg would obviously be the better choice. Unfortunately a 1000watt+ ampeg couldn't keep up to a 100 watt fender twin as well as the mesa.

Tube is almost always louder. My guitar player went from a 400 watt solidstate to a 100 watt tube and the tube was a great deal louder and clearer.

In conclusion, someone should buy me the mesa.

7. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The Mesa is a great amp, but tHe GK 1001RB II is a lot lighter, plenty of power, cheaper, and you won't have to retube.:bassist:

8. Yes, again, the tubes may give some people more volume to them and may like the tube deal more. But really, how can 500 watts of tube punch out more volume than the 1,200 watt ampeg? As long as there's a tube preamp I'm happy:D . The gallien kruegers are really good to but I've heard that people think that the power section is kind of floppy and doesn't really sound as loud as it should.

Tubes are also more suited for guitar as well. The tubes work better at producing the guitar frequencies opposed to a solid state power amp. It just has to their tube enginering.

9. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The Mesa would be louder becasue tube power is significantly louder than solid state power amps. If I remember hearing right tube power makes an amp 5-6 times louder than solid state. The more I read about the Mesa, the more I want one. And I've seen them go used for about 600-800. But I've only tried Mesa's MPulse heads. They sounded great and held their own, but they were noisy as poo.

~Patrick

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I don't care - as long as I get any :bassist: :D

sorry, that one itched me all day :p

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FWIW - Talkbass had a member, Spacegoat, who is a pro sound engineer and has worked the board for a number of A-list concerts, (e.g. Heart), in Canada and Europe.

Of all the single unit bass amps, (not rack systems), he has had to deal with, he said the Mesa 400+ was the monster.

12. Ouch! :bawl:

13. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    What the hell are you talking about? Tubes produce bass frequencies just fine.

The Mesa 500 watter is louder than the Ampeg's 1200. That is a fact.

IMO, Ampeg is overratted in wattage. I know someone here went and got it tested, but my GK400RB (150 watts @ 8 ohms) into an SWR Workingman's 4x10 smoked an Ampeg SVT-3pro into the same cab on the same day. Ampeg claims how much wattage?

14. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I have a speedster guitar amp rated at 30 watts and it will tear apart 100 watt tube guitar amps. Is the mesa a class "A" tube amp?

No one cares what the rating on an amp is. If pontiac says the sunfire can run a 13 second 1/4 mile would you buy it?

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If it's not Eden, it's CRAP!

16. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Man, where would this board be with Munji? :D

17. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    If it's not Yorkville it stands a chance.

18. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    My vote was for the SVT4 Pro. My SVT4 Pro certainly was louder when I A/B'ed it with the 400+, but it was hard to really tell the difference. I really enjoy the Ampeg, I am on my 2nd one, I shouldn't have sold it in the first place. It is the best all in one amp on the market, IMO. Massive headroom, many good useful features, built like a tank, and its relatively light. The only negative is that the DI is very noisy and basically useless.

And...I would much rather have an Explorer(which is exactly what I own) than a Porsche. Different strokes for different folks.

:D

19. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Just thought I'd quote this so you can't erase it when you realize how wierd that sounds. I agree it was a poor analogy but you know what I meant..

And I think everyone knows my opinion of the Mesa. All hail Mesa.

There are like 5 threads all with the same topic now. I feel like someone is deleting my posts.

20. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    How is that weird?