Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Head would you use with this setup....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by schmittuml, Apr 22, 2005.

1. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    OK so as far as cabs go ill have a mesa 2X15 and a mesa 2X10 (both powerhouse)......for basses ill have a 4 string MM stingray, and a 5string bubinga corvette warwick........i switch between a nice groovin rock fingerstyle but a lot of songs and covers incorporate a lot of slap/tap tone (think old incubus/311/RHCP on the slap songs). The M-pulse has an upside with the solo and the footswithcable EQ so i could switch to slap mid groove and not have levels be off, and its got a compressor too.......... but also ive been lookin at a G-K 1001RB-II.........any other options? does GK have a footswitch? id like something to be abe to switch on the fly between a nice low EQ setting for fat bass to fill the rooom and switch it at a click to i nice meaty mid/high slap tone. Any suggestions?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd say Ashdown; it has a nice SS preamp for slapping but some tubes for fingerstyle.

3. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    without a doubt score a Mesa M 2000 !!

SS preamp, tubes preamp, blend channel, 2 compressors, 2 EQ and a footswitch to keep the beast at your orders.

4. Mesa Big Block 750!!! The best amp I've ever played through it had a great tone even at store levels and sounded great through the Mesa 2x15 they had in store.

5. schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    bumppppp for advice

6. Again I have to plug the Ashdown MK500. Fidelity, headroom, fast attack, 500W of power, and graphic EQ so you can really dial in the tone you need. The EQ has push button to enable/disable the graphic, but no footswitch that I know of. But if you can hit the button between songs, then you can use the eq on your Stingray with no amp eq, then switch to the graphic eq on the amp with the push of a button. It's a great amp for slapping, designed for Mark King after all. But it's equally good for pizzicato and other techniques.

As far as compression, I don't think you need it with a Stingray, but that's a matter of taste.

7. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I have similar cabs 2x10 and 1x15 mesa's... using an eden wt800. pretty decent rig for the price..

8. schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
  9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Ashdown EVO-II has 575 watts, both tubes and SS preamp, and optional footswitches. The EQ is so incredibly awesome!!!! Very versitle as well. Try one out.

10. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Mesa, Eden or GK.

Dirk Lance used all Eden gear. Flea's used GK amps with Ampeg cabs (Mothers Milk Era?), GK amps with Mesa cabs (Californication sort of Era), All GK nowadays and has used other combinations at times.

I'm not sure what P-nut uses, i've forgotten. Search google and you'l find out.

Those might be some considerations..

11. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If I recall properly, I think P-Nut is actually an SWR guy.... but I wouldnt go with them as far as a head is concerned.

I'd go with GK or a Mesa M-Pulse :)

12. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I hear the GBE line from Genz Benz are some of the most versatile amps around. They have seperate tupe and FET preamp channels, each with independant EQ, and footswitchable voicing filters as well. Probably worth a listen if you live close to a dealer.

13. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    SWR's SM400s and SM900 heads (P-Nut used to use the 900's) are both excellent, extremely durable heads, with plenty of power and VERY versitile EQs.

14. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Who the hell is P-Nut?

15. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.