Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What headphones do you use?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by reedo35, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Quick question, off topic. What kind of headphones do Y'all use? I am in the market for a new set of cans, and I don't want to blow a bunch of dough on some overpriced Piece.
    I need them for my late night listening sessions, (of course) but also to work on my keyboard chops without disturbing the wife and kid.

2. bpclark

bpclark

Apr 30, 2003
    West Central, OH
    Audio Technica Mf40s
    Sony MDR7506

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Sony 7506 and/or V600. Once I got my first pair of Sonys, everything else sounded funny.

4. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    My AKG 240's been good to me. About $100.

5. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Grado SR80. Amaaaaazing!

6. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I have two pairs of AKGs but they're so-so.

+1 on the MDR-7506's. I dig how they can fold up kinda compact as fast as these can get and they seem pretty tough. They've taken my abuse for about 5 years no and still are in great shape. The earpiece covers disintegrated a while back but I've found a place that sells some good replacements.
    http://www.libermansound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=29

I bought an extra pair just in case. But in my search for the link above, looks like there's a cheaper source.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=283532&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I've heard good stuff about the Grados too.

7. I second the Grado's. Best sound for the price in my opinion (only drawback is the open design if you're in a noisy environment, but for my applications, noise isn't an issue).

8. Sennheiser RS 120 ( cordless ).
    They were about 120 € ( $150 ).

R2

9. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    sennheiser PX200, which are the best sounding small headphones I could find. Train journeys have been transformed!

10. Sony MDR-7506.

I didn't realize it was so popular.

11. Bodin

Bodin

Mar 1, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I have on my Sony 7506's right now. They have great outside noise attenuation because of the closed design.

12. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W' Sconsin
    Sennheiser HD 280 Pro- closed style 'wife cancelling', excellent bass response ('natch!) and under $100 @ Full Compass.

13. I've got a pair of Shure's E2C in-ear headphones (or whichever the cheapest ones are) and they're great. They block out alot of the outside sound (I use them in the subway) and require almost no volume for you to be able to hear. To give you an idea of what I mean I turn my Ipod's volume up to about 1/8 of the bar and I can hear the Barber Agnus Dei version of his Adagio for Strings pretty decently. I got them through an online store (DJ supplies or something like that) for $70 with a 1-yr "break 'em and we replace 'em" deal. I haven't regretted it since!

14. sennheiser HD600 very comfortable and they make the Basscasts sound even better!

15. I swear by my Senn 580's that I've had for long time. I also use the Senn 650, Senn 280 Pro, AT-M40fs and AKG K270. I use a Cardas replacement cable for the Senn 580 and 650. It makes a big difference, especially with a nice front end. You can find them at headphone.com.
    I hear the Grados are outstanding but I haven't tried them yet.

16. Just to let you guys know, I went with the Sony 7506's, they should be here in a few Days. I do appreciate everybody's input, I guess I just went with the Majority here :) . I'll post my impressions when they get here.

17. So . . . okay, you've had some time to really break 'em in. How do you like them? :)

18. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have Sennheiser CX-300's.. been pretty happy with 'em.

19. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    Grado Labs SR325i....gorgeous