1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What heads go well with the Schroeder 1210R?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zildjian106, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Zildjian106

Zildjian106

Apr 8, 2007
    I am very happy because I just ordered my new 1210R. :hyper:

So, I have heard GK amps go well with small Schroeders and also to stay away from Eden heads. What head do you use with your 1210?

Thanks! :)

2. i do a pre-power with my 1212R. Crest CA6 and ampeg svp-pro. Kicks some serious ass. I've used an SVT-4 with it too. This cab sounds great with ampeg for me anyway. Cuts through a heavy mix and sounds great.

3. Zildjian106

Zildjian106

Apr 8, 2007

Thanks ThunderSix66! :cool:

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

5. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Ive been using my MarkBass SA450 for over a year now with my 1210 4ohms and although i thought i wanted a change i still find this small rig handles all my gigs without breaking up. Its sooo loud.
    On stage it can get a bit over powering but out front it sits in the mix very well and even handles my low B well.

6. Zildjian106

Zildjian106

Apr 8, 2007
    Thanks a lot guys!

I can't wait to get this cab! :smug:

7. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    I just picked up a 1210r a week ago and I'm in honeymoon stage with it and a 1001rbii. It is great so far. A lot of the boxy/mid hump/ etc issues I have heard some comments about don't seem to be a problem for me, and I think part of the reason might be the strength/versatility of the GK's eq section. I'm still running it pretty flat, but probably about the inverse of what I used with a berg 210 or Aguilar 12.

I also read about people putting more power into the cab and I believe it could be done and sound great, but I don't think I will ever be in a situation where I need more power or volume and there isn't significant pa support.

8. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    The GK/Schroeder combination works quite well. I have both a 1210R and a 1212R and I've used them with a 1001RB-II for several years with great success. A while back I bought into the hype and picked up a Markbass LMII and have been using that with the Schroeders... It also seems to be a good match.

I originally tried out a few Eden heads with the Schroeders and I didn't care for the tone at all... too muddy with very little punch and defination IMO.

I should probably add that at bedroom volumes I wasn't all that impressed with the Schroeders. It wasn't until my first gig with them that I fell in love with them.

- Frank.

9. Zildjian106

Zildjian106

Apr 8, 2007
    Thanks uglybass player. Looks like I will be getting a GK or an Ampeg.

Will I be able to find on the cab if it is 8 ohms or 4 ohms? I was told that it has a switch but I don't think that is correct. It does not really matter if I got a 4 or an 8 ohms box because I am starting from scratch. ;)

10. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Yes, that will be indicated on the back panel (see image below). I sure hope whoever told you about the switch was mistaken... To get a 4 ohm rating out of two speakers in a cabinet, you need to have two 8 ohm speakers wired in series. If you wire them parallel instead, you will get a 16 ohm cabinet. To get an 8 ohm cabinet, you need to have either two 16 ohm speakers wired in series or two 4 ohm speakers wired parallel. In short... there's no way to make a cabinet with two speakers work as both a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm cabinet. Anyone who claims to have a "magical" switch that allows both is well... If your curious, do a search on "The Switch" and "Accugroove" and you'll understand.

- Frank.

[​IMG]

11. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I had a GK1001RBII for a while and i must admit i liked it at first until i had to use my SA450 again at a gig and realised i didn't like the GK tone much unless it was clean and with that setting my SA450 was both fuller and louder.
    Guess its just preference at the end of the day.

12. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    I was using a GK1001RB-II and it sounded great. I now have a MarkBass LMKII and it's even better.

13. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Dont rule out the Carvin B1500. Fairly cheap but has huge power, clean yet deep tone. It mates very well with schroe cabs. Do a search for Smash's rig.. he has soundclips.

14. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    One thing i found with my 1210 is that it has quite a strong tone of its own and i found that going form my ABM to my SA450 didnt give me as much of a tone change as i thought.

15. I used my Little mark II with my 1212L and it killed, super loud and articulate, and the head isn't that expensive, $599.00.

16. +1... I played a club gig recently in St. Louis, and there were a couple of bass players in the audience. I was using my Sadowsky RV5 and the 1212L with LMII. They were REALLY digging it (actually, it bums me out a little, because they asked me about the gear and tone much more than my playing.... that's kind of the story of my life!).:D

17. LOL!!! I'm sure your playing is smokin!!! It has to be to make your gear sound great, although it's tough to get a bad sound out of a Schroeder!!! :bassist:
    By the way,
    I'm playing an original rock show this Saturday and plan on using my 1212L and my LMII, I can't wait...I always like to see peoples faces when my 1212L sounds as big and punchy as an Ampeg 810!!! IMHO!!!!

18. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I ran mine withe a BBE Bmax and Carvin poweramp. I liked it real well.

19. Zildjian106

Zildjian106

Apr 8, 2007
    I already read up on that a few months ago, so it concerned me when I was told it had a switch. Thanks for your response Frank. :)

OP1964 (Chris) was kind enough to PM me the answer I needed to know...I ordered it from MF so I hope it is indeed a 4 ohm cab. :ninja:

20. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Just got my 1212L on Thursday. I plugged it in in my living room with my EBS HD350. Sounded great, but that isn't much of a test. I played last night and brought my GK 1001RBII. No soundcheck whatsoever, so I was a little nervous going in, new cab, etc. etc. The first thing that surprised me was no EQ'ing vs. my other cabs. I literally dialed the treble, high mids and low mids flat. I just boosted the bass a bit to about 2:00. Sounded great just like that, so I'd have to say the GK pairs up very nicely with it. Next few rehearsals, I want to try some different amp and bass configurations with it to really give it a test run.