1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What headstock logo style should my 1969 Les Paul Recording Bass have please?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tom Stirling, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Tom Stirling

Tom Stirling

Jul 13, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Hey Guys -

I have a 1969 Les Paul recording bass which I love; an absolute keeper. Unfortunately, the previous owner sanded and refinished the headstock, and applied gold Gibson stickers which I'm sure are incorrect. I'd like to refinish it and apply the correct logos, but I'm not sure what to use.

I've done a bunch of research; according to the Fly Guitars page on these basses, it should have the version of Gibson without the dot over the i; but I can't tell if it's gold or silver from the pics. Looks like sticker-type decals not inlay.

So my questions are:
    • Should it be a sticker-type decal or was it inlaid?
    • Should it be silver or gold?
    • Which version of the Gibson script should it be?
    Thanks in advance for any info!! BTW, just to confirm I am NOT making a fake or re-branding any other guitar; I just want to get my genuine Gibson looking bit nicer. :bassist:

BTW, if this should be in the Luthiers' Forum, mods please go ahead and move, thanks!

2. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Judging by the '69 in my avatar - not a LP but an EB - here's what I see.

1) Sticker
    2) Tough call. I'd call it "silver that has aged from 50 years of exposure to who knows what", but definitely not gold.
    3) Which version of stickers are available to you?

BTW, my first Gibson bass back in '83 was a '69 Les Paul Bass and my pet peeve is that so many people refer to them as "Recording Bass" although Gibson themselves never did..."Recording" was the guitar only...:D

Wishing you the best of luck in getting the old Gibby where you need it to be.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  3. Tom Stirling

Tom Stirling

Jul 13, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Thank you!! And thanks too for the tip on the 'Recording' part of the name'!! :D

4. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    I have one of these and they have mother of pearl inlays

5. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Sheer curiosity on my end: is it missing the dot above the "i"?

6. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    yes

ajkula66 likes this.
  7. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

This site seems to have good photos. I obviously don’t know how similar yours is to the one on the site. Also, I don’t know anything about LP basses, as I don’t think I’ve ever seen one like this...

1969 Gibson Les Paul Bass >> FlyGuitars