1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what humcancelling j's sound most like single coils?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by vic_6, Mar 24, 2006.

1. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    been thinking of adding a j to my fretless p for a while now. was thinking of just getting a single coil then decided i really dont want any hum. but i dont know what humcallling p/up to get...

any advice would be great. thanks!

vic

2. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    i haven't tried them myself but the nordstrand humcancellings have a very good reputation and got an excellent review in the lastest bassplayer mag.

3. I love my Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups! I have a set in my Jazz bass and one in my Warwick. They sound a little different than single coils but I like it better.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The DM's have their own sound, but not like single coils, which was the original question.
    The Nord NJ4SV's are extremely close to single coil sound, they're great.

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I think the Bart "classic" jazz humcancellers have that big open single coil sound in spades, and they're really dead quiet.

6. Not sure if they are available after market, but the Celinder J pickups are hum cancelling and there is NO WAY you can tell that they aren't single coil. It's almost spooky... total single coil grind and sizzle and rawness, and totally quiet. I haven't heard the Barts that Wil mentioned.. they sound like the real deal also. But man, I don't know how Chris does it. I think he winds his own pickups, but not sure. Just amazing!

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I haven't tried Nordstrands, but I have a set of Lindy Fralin's Split Jazz, and they sound darned close to single coils. He says the highs are pulled back compared to his single coils. That might be true, but I think they have even have more highs than the stock Fender pickups. They growl like crazy too.

8. I have not heard the others mentioned here. The DiMarzio Model J are effective at hum cancellation, but have a very different sound than traditional single coils.

9. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    wow! a lot of quick responses! thanks guys! :hyper:

yeah, i heard the DM's are good but do have their own sound going on...

i did think about getting nords or lindy fralins. more expensive but they seem pretty worth it with what ive heard about em.

celinder j's huh? ill look into them.

i guess im leaning towards the nords n fralins for now. any other suggestions?

10. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i dont noi how they sound, but villex makes passive single coils with a neat "midrange attenuator" knob. allowing you to get a full range of sound.

11. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Bill Lawrence J-45s. I've been using them for years. I won't use anyone else's J pickups.

12. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I heard Bill Lawrence designed the Fender Samarium cobalt noisless pickups. Are these the same as the j45's?

13. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Anyone ever tried the Schaller JBX pickups? They're humcancelling as well, aren't they?

14. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Bill Lawrence designed hundreds of pickups and is one of the few pioneers of pickup engineering still alive.

15. bkief1

bkief1

Dec 25, 2005
    cb56,

Yes, Bill did design the Samarium cobalt pickups. Are they the same as the J-45's...no. Same idea/principles though are consistent; that is, clean/clear, transparent, noiseless, high quality/great value.

16. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Fender's adventures with noisless pickups up to the BL SCN have been unsatisfying at best (with guitars too). I haven't had a chance to really put the SCN through the wringer, but reports have been good and I have heard them at others' gigs and they did seem to be doing a great job of sounding like what they had replaced. I only wish they fit the routes on my Carvin LB75F - I'd love to put one in the bridge position to go with the BL J-45 I have at the neck.

17. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    OK I'm getting older so my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.... The J45 has 9 polepieces?
    I didn't see a place on his site that had measurements either. Will they drop in a MIA Jazz V?

18. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    They are evenly spaced to work in fourt-strings or five.

They fit anything that uses the once-standard J LONG, which was orginally found on Fenders at the bridge position, and which many other makers/luthiers used for BOTH positions on Fours, Fives, and even a few narrow Sixes.

Fender has changed form factors just to further confuse the mess.

19. bkief1

bkief1

Dec 25, 2005
  20. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    The Fender SCN on my bass are great!!