Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Hz to set tuner to

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by my name is mud, Oct 5, 2004.

1. my name is mud

my name is mud

Jul 2, 2004
    WI
    Well I got a electric tuner its a korg cromatic tuner CA-30. Well my question is what Hz should it be set to?

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario

3. my name is mud

my name is mud

Jul 2, 2004
    WI
    why 440Hz? Sorry but I like to know what im doing and why heh.

4. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Yeah, A440 is standard concert pitch. However, I tend to tune my bass a tad sharp since fingerstyle playing stretches out the strings, thus making them go a bit flat after a while. But that's just me.

5. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    440 is a perfect A by most standards.....

6. Many Philharmonic Orchestras actually tune a little sharp (441 or 442). The idea is that the sound is just a little brighter. This is probably true.

I used to play in a band that tuned to 442. I don't know if WE sounded any brighter, however... :D

It really doesn't matter so much as that everyone is playing in tune with each other.

7. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i do know that the xylophones my school had were 440 and the piano was 445. yeesh!.... talk about irritating. its not super wavy but it gets ya. what i dont understand is that my tuner goes to like 400-480Hz... why? who would tune so high or so low?

8. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I set mine to 430, we tune lower.

9. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
  10. Most well.... nearly all professional orchestras tune to the oboe, if the oboes is sharp then so is the rest of the orchestra. But it wouldnt be noticable because they will all be intune with one another

11. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA