1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What!? I cant remove my bridge!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Nov 16, 2010.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    I bought a gotoh bridge via ebay for my mij stock bridge.

It jus arrived. So I unstrung my bass and unscrewed the 5 screws of stock bridge. GUess what? The bridge is stuck to the body with some sort of glue I believe??

What do I do now? help pls

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Shouldnt be..try tapping on it lightly to see if its just stuck on the finish.

3. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    trust me. its stucked there.

4. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    did you tried by tapping it with your hand?

5. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    i tried knocking it.wont budge. this is seriously ridiculous.

6. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    use a plastic screw driver handle and tap it hard...it should break loose.

7. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    I finally got so pissed and i leaned my whole body weight onto my thumb and pressed onto the bridge....and...finally! it flew 5feets and off from the body

I see a tiny cavity with a wire protruding of whats left on the space that was covered by the bridge... is it normal? I got the bass 2nd hand, ive always wondered it its a real mij body

8. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    :D Careful there big fella! I was going to ask it it was second hand. You never know if some dope glued the bridge on ..Fender never does nor has any bass i have ever seen. Yes, The hole or route is for the grounding wire from your pups and the bare wire uses the metal bridge as a ground. If you want to check to see if its a real MIJ neck ..take the neck off and check the neck pocket on the body.

9. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    Oh crap. After I placed the gotoh, apparently due to the lack of groundin wire attached to bridge, i now experience EPIC hum. Is there anything I can abt it???

10. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    You need to make sure the grounding wire where its bare is touching the underside of the metal bridge and all should be good. If need be strip a lilttle bit of the shelding off the wire to expose it more. The bared wire has to touch the metal bridge.

11. Those pesky little electrons won't do your bidding unless there's continuity.

12. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    problem solved! thanks guys. After a painful half an hour i succeeded in replacing my fender with a gotoh.

None of the change in tone people rave about, but hell yeah does it look awesome and shiny : D. And yeah, the strings spacing get a tad narrower, which is a good thing in my book.

13. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Could of told you about the tone change BS..all crap.IMO the Fender bridge is all you need and has stood the test of time.It is part of the Fender tone and i wont mess with it. Some say a Badass bridge will increase sustain, but I play bass and when do I need sustain? :rolleyes: As for looks If you think its worth the extra money then thats great ...me ..no way. I also dont like narrow string spacing..gotta get my meaty claws in there to thump..all my 2 cents..enjoy.

14. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    I was quite skeptical when I read posts stating people's badass 'brought their bass to life' or it 'made their un-usable bass finally usable again'. Infact, theres this bassist whom I respect who told me that his badass II made his bass more 'punchy'.

Oh well, maybe my ears are not sensitive enough? Who knows. Well, I dont regret that I spent 50bucks for the bridge, since my old fender bridge is alreadi 90% rusted. And since Ive experienced for myself to what extent a high mass bridge does, it kinda curbs my GAS in the meantime.

15. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    No pic, no bridge.

16. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    In my experience a badass that comes on a bass (like a highway one or the Geddy Lee signature) sucks. It deadens the tone of the bass, except for this one Geddy I played at guitarcenter. I put my own on, an old model, one that I had the saddles filed down to accomidate the strings. I am amazed still a year later at how much better my jazz sounds. I love the thing to death, and the bridge I share the same feelings towards. Lesson, Badass II's are just like basses, you need to get the right one, and make it personal to really get the intended result.

17. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    oooohhhh a rusty Fender bridge...nice!

18. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

How the bridge change affects the tone depends a lot on the tone of the wood. If you have a nice resonant body, a high-mass bridge can actually deaden it. I believe that manufacturers now use the high-mass bridges for consistent sound quality, as the wood in general is not as good as it used to be.

19. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    +1 When I found my 78' P bass it had an old school badass on it. The known 70's mod, the groovy P tone was there and I could hear it but had a kind of wet blanket sound over it. As soon as the dealer picked me up a RI 70's Bridge and we slappped it on, it opened up the and that good old P bass tone shined thru.

20. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    Yeah, agree with people here. Changing the bridge might give you a tone "improvement" or not.

I actually heard a BIG, HUGE difference when I changed the old 2-saddle bridge in my '51 P copy. I got a Gotoh one too, 4-saddles but not the high-mass, just the "regular" one. The tone of that bass just opened up nicely, but I didn't notice an improvement in sustain...