What I consider to be a poor bassline

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Oct 6, 2004.

1. I'm at work and I'm listening to 99X, local station, and an Alanis Morisette song came on. I believe it was the first hit she had, "I'm hear to remind you of the mess you made" ...etc.. And in my opinion the bass line in this song is so stupid. Some guys playing what sounds like it wants to be a finger funk bass line and to me it's just not groovin at all. It's all over the place and totally out context. Just seems to me like it's really irrelevant. So much for supporting a song. Personally, I believe IT'S metaphorically comparable to POOP. :meh:

Mod: I won't lock this, everyone has their opinions, but, let this be a lesson for everyone that there is a thing called tact when expressing opinions. This could be an interesting opportunity for people to highlight basslines that may be done by famous or great players, but are still lacking to them, the reasons why, and anything else
  2. Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Flea played bass on that song, I also think Dave Navarro laid down the guitar.
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    1st. IBTL

2nd. it was Flea

3rd. You felt the need to post a hate thread about a 10+ year old tune???
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    4th..... I kinda dig the line
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Me, too...personally, I feel it fits with Morrisette's aggression.

There's 2 versions of the tune on Jagged Little Pill(one is Flea & I'm not sure who played the other; both are similiar).
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Worst Bass Line Ever is a bold statement.

The worst bassline ever wouldn't even be in time with the music/in tune with the music : See Punk.
  7. As soon as heard that song i was wondering wether it was flea or someone trying to sound like him. I think its a wicked bassline. I've defintly heard worst.
  8. BlasphemyArise

Jul 15, 2004
    See: Any Blink 182 song :smug:
  9. pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    Oh yeah...worst bass line ever...

Come see me play Friday night, I'll set ya straight.

10. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Wow, I thought it was one of the best basslines in the otherwise largely uninspired late-90s pop-ternative era. Now that I know it was flea, I can see why. (I dont think he's a god or anything, but I like some of his funkier stuff a lot)

Note: There is an alternate mix of that song with I believe, a different bass and drum section altogether. They played that one on the radio for a bit, then switched back to the original. Don't know the deets, but they each had their own groove. I enjoyed that song.

(edit: didn't see jimK's post about the 2 versions til now)
  11. Woah guys, don't stuff so literal. I don't like it much. To me it doesn't work at all. I don't really care who played it. To me it sounded like he was playing a different song. Man, it's Alanis Morisette, I had no idea there would be this many replies on a Morisette thread. Sorry I'll italisize next time.
  12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    "I hate (whatever)" threads always get these responses, no matter how the statement is phrased.
  13. The point

As far as the bass line, it works, it doesn't subtract from the song, it was a big hit. What's the problem?
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Why not? Mariah Carey may think she's a freak; IMO, she's pretty cool + she employs some pretty decent players(Gary Novak, Chris Chaney, Me'shell, etc).