Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What i did at church last night

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Feb 3, 2003.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

My current ministry in the catholic church is running the church band for the teen mass. Well after our Communion song we still had a good number of people reciving Euchrist so i said to the guitar player lets play a G D A C jam so we play a few messures and it gets a reggae vibe to it, it really becomes a groovin jam. You could tell people where suprised that is was a more lively intermission song then most sundays the people really enjoyed it you could tell. Just the sound of the jack bass with by Ampeg B 100 R just got to me . When i finished i realized i still had alot of rateling in the thing ,semi hollow basses with ratteling and buzzing are just unbarable to play unpluged.

2. Lol I would have gotten bitched at if I tried to play anything other than Christian music at my Church. I used to play in the band at my old Church Belleview Christian. One day I tried to add a nice Slap line to this song "My Glorious" and I got yelled at for not sticking to the F-ing root notes. Aparently none of them had heard slapping before and told me it was evil or something. I dunno Ive just had bad experiences in Religious bands.

3. One of the earliest slap bass proponents (perhaps even the inventor!) was a church bassist. The drummer was off one day so the bass player fills the percussive lines... Voila, slap bass. Try that story on your band mates. How can slapping and popping the strings on your bass be "evil"? Bah!! :rolleyes: :)

Church playing can be really cool, you've just got to learn to check your ego/attitude at the door and play what's asked/appropriate for the situation. Not bad training for life generally (!!). ;)

4. Yea thats true but they dont even let the bass get heard. I turn up the amp so its at the same level as the Guitars and they tell me "ahhh the bass is too loud turn it down ahhhh". Whats with that? am I just supposed to stand up there and pretend like im playing so everyone can hear the guitars crappy ass distortion and power chords, plus solos this one kid plays, all he does is play the Major scale on the chord were on and everyone goes crazy "OMG he's awesome wow ooo ahhh".

Sorry about going off on that rant there I just go into rant mode when church topics are present. Maybe I should just avoid these topics all together. It would be better for everyone.

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

your guitar player is allowed to have a distortion pedal at church wow. What faith is this. Try talking to the person who runs the band and see if you could start with acoustic then so you could go with a natural sound, Then work in to some complex stuff . Their are endless things you could do with a church band just use your gifts.

6. Its too late now, I got kicked out of the school about a year ago for smoking a Cigarette OFF CAMPUS!!! They didnt even give me a chance they drove by me and my friends at a park smoking a cigarette and kicked me out right then. F---ing christian schools.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have played slap at every church I have ever played for.

8. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Same here, and the congregation loves it!

Some churches are still not twigging to the contemporary styles, and as servants, you need to adjust for that...I just try to stay out of situations where I'm not cramped creatively, musical or otherwise...

9. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    lol - we've pushed it sometimes at our church... a few times there has been the need for music only (various situations...)... and we have played "high and dry" by radiohead, "trouble" by Coldplay etc.... much to the amusement of the youth group... and we got a surprising amount of compliments from the "older" folk in the church for the "sensitive and creative" playing....!! I reckon you should be able to have a bit of fun when playing at church, as long as it doesnt offend anyone!!

hehe

DC :)

10. We push it somewhat for offering specials sometimes, also. We've done, among others:

Free Ride
    A couple Allman Bros instrumentals (we have a B-3 that Gregg Allman used to tour with)
    In the Presence of the Lord (Clapton)
    A couple Booker T. and the MG's tunes
    Cliffs of Dover
    A James Taylor tune or two
    A Peter Gabriel tune
    Theme from Mission Impossible
    Birdland
    Some 12-bar blues

Those are just the few I can remember. There are a bunch more. Our worship is fairly progressive, and our pastor is pretty "out there". In fact, he's a decent guitar player and a good blues harmonica player.

We get to crank the sound pretty good, which is fun in a 3,500 person church.

11. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've done some of them church gigs. It was at one of them Babtist churches were slapping is exepected and the funk is stanky. It was pretty fun.

12. Darwin

Darwin

Jan 12, 2003
    St. Louis, MO.
    Dale,
    What church are you playing for? I'm from the St. Louis area and would like to hear your group.

13. St. Louis Family Church, in Chesterfield. What part of town are you in?