Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What I did over spring break (GB + guitarist friends = please listen)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Justin V, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Over break I recorded this song with two guitarists from my band from last summer (and this upcoming summer). It kind of fell apart at the end of the song because Tyler messed up his guitar part and we were too tired/lazy to redo it :D so it threw off my bass part when I overdubed it.

It can be heard here.

edit: I reworked the mix a bit and reposted.

2. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    No replies yet? Oh c'mon. You guys are gonna hurt my fragile ego. ;)

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    singer is horrible, sorry. Playing is boring and repetitive. Not a big fan of the guitar tones.

anything else?

4. Me too,I am sorry...bit the singer isn't my cup of tea.

I think you could be turned up a little more,but I always say that.

Not bad though

5. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    In regards to the vocals (that's me in my guitarists bathroom), ouch but I definately see what you mean. I've been admittedly lax in regards to working on my singing as of late. In fact, I just got back from re-doing the vocal parts in the HSU music building. I'm still not quite satisfied with myself, but at least it's closer to on pitch this time. I'll put it up once I add a couple of "sound effects" to go with the new vocal track (I kinda made it an angrier song. kinda like Coheed's "Velorium Caper: Al The Killer" just not as high pitched ;) ) I'll make sure to boost the bass next time to (using cheap speakers for monitoring is NOT GOOD).

Keep the critiques coming though please. Especially in regards to the guitar tone. I seem to have NO ear for guitar tone (you should have seen us tweaking the amp modeling, a beautiful exercise in futility).

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    on the tone maybe shave a little fuzz off. Make sure the clean tone is decent before adding distortion. Best way to do this is to start with everything at 12 oclock.

Has pontential but it is far from finished. Keep up the good work

7. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
  8. I couldn't listen all the way through. Not because its horrible but I just got The Division Bell by Pink Floyd and cant be distracted from it. I will give a listen to it later.

9. mumbojumbo4

mumbojumbo4

Feb 11, 2004
    Illinois
    Liking so far, but barly can hear the vocals

10. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Here's the "final" version. After much sending back and forth and weak communication (AIM with a ton of firewalls BAH), I finally got a version we were all satisfied with. Enjoy.