1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What I learned on Father's Day

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pilgrim, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

On Sunday we played a benefit gig for a family that had a premature baby and lots of medical bills. The gig followed a motorcycle poker run that also was a fundraiser for the family.

The hall we were in is pretty large (at least 50' x 150' with 200-300 people in it), and I was concerned about my ability to fill it with two a new amp and speaker cab, neither of which i had used in public: a Behringer BX4500 amp (not real worried about that one) and a Peavy BX115 single 15" cab.

What I learned was......I didn't need to worry! The Peavy cab performed just fine (cripes, the stage was flexing underneath it when I hit it hard) and I never needed to turn either the input or master output up past 30%. I had a massive amount of overhead room in that amp, and the speaker sounded just like a 15 should: fat and powerful. That single 15 was plenty to fill and potentially overfill that hall.

At some point I may add a 4x10 cab for an option with more definition in the sound, but that 450 watt Behringer is one kickin' amp...I think it's gonna be juuuuust fine. :cool:

2. I'm very surprised to hear that an ultrabass filled a room... the only one I tried died in-store while I was using it (thankfully, a salesman was with me and saw the whole thing)

If their QC was on par with most companies then they'd be a peavey beater for cheap gear.

3. Pilgrim

I've read enough about Behringer having up and down quality control to be a bit apprehensive about doing my first gig with that BX4500 as my primary amp for a four hour gig. That was the potential problem that concerned me. I did have a Hartke 1400 Bass Amp as a backup, which is only smart anyway.

But the Behringer worked perfectly, was dead quiet, sounded fine, and as I said, I needed only a fraction of its power to fill that hall. I had gobs of reserve power. It appears I have a real winner!

All I can say is that so far, I'm very pleasantly impressed with that Behringer...and with the Peavey BX115 cab.

Amp:

BX4500H-1.gif

Cab:

PeaveyBX115Big.gif

4. I'm glad you are enjoying yours. I have the BX4500H and I have to agree with you Pilgrim. It definitely puts out some sound. I ran it at around 1000 on the output into a 2x10 and a 1x15 cab (both 8 ohm) in a room that seats over 800 easily. I didn't even need the PA :) .

5. nasaldischarges

nasaldischarges

Jun 11, 2005
    i got the 300 watter a while ago and i thought it was decent, went and got a yorkville xs800h for the tube preamp (which i relish) and so that i never have to work the head too hard. the 400 watt one they make would've been fine, though one would have to turn up a bit more.

i still use my behringer cabs, the bb210 and the ba115. i really like the tone i get out of the whole setup

6. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification
    Oh man. When I saw the thread I thought we were going to talk about our kids! Mine are great. Hope yours are too.

7. Pilgrim

I have two daughters, ages 18 and 19, and both came out to the gig. The older one even brought her boyfriend and his parents!

Good kids, and a nice way to make it really Father's Day.

8. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Just how tubey can those yorkville xs amps get with that tube in the pre ? They always looked like something that could be interesting to me.

9. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification
    Yup, the really important stuff! Well, better stop before I get moved to off-topic permanently!

10. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    This was my "first" Fathers Day! My son, Elijah Ray Dunn, was born on May 30th. Can't wait to teach how to play bass!

Hey Dave, Johno from Santa Barbara here. Hows NY treating you?

11. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I've got the XS 400 head. It gets pretty tubey IMHO. It'll never be mistaken for a 73 SVT, but does the job for me. Can get a little "woofy" if you're not careful...but that's why there are tone knobs!

Currently being rebadged as the Traynor DynaBass series. Same good stuff though.

12. bluessky

bluessky

Jun 26, 2007
    Just bought a Behringer BX4500H. I went for B stock, because it was $199 (I'm really a guitar player -- this is just in case of emergency and I need to break some glass)...

B stock came from Behringer in a sealed box labeled B stock. This amp must have had some problem but they took it back and fixed it, presumably testing it thoroughly to assure the fix worked before putting it back on the market. Everything is perfect and it sounds great pushing an 8 ohm Avatar B210.

YMMV of course, but for two hundred bucks under a 60 day return policy from some internet store front, hey, I figure why not? Of course if it craps out during a gig, I'll be disappointed but I'm thinkin' it'll be fine.

13. nasaldischarges

nasaldischarges

Jun 11, 2005
    theyre not really all that tubey, but what i do is set the amp up to put out a bit of an edgy, aggressive sound without the tube drive, and then warm it out with a hint of drive, depending on what type of sound i want. i can distort too, but it doesnt sound nearly as good as an overdriven all-tube amp.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021