What I made with a Squier P bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Micolao, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    :bag: Hi evrybody I'm new I'm Italian and proud to be part of this forum... :hyper:
    and I'm also proud :cool: to present you what I made starting with a cheap Squier P bass, a few money and an incredible upgrading mania...
    tell me what you think about this Frankenstein bass...
    The sound?
    Just Great. I love it...:smug: :cool:

Fender mex jazz bass
    squier P body (alder)
    schaller tuners
    schaller roller string retainers
    schaller 3d bridge
    Magnetics alnico Precision pu
    Magnetics alnico MM pu
    2 switch series/parallel
  2. Welcome!

Nice work on the Squire, although, can I suggest a tort pickguard????
    Enjoy your time here, lots of knowledgeable people live on this site!
  3. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    nice! keep the black pickguard.
  4. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Cool and looks great!

But then again, I'm a bit biased. I've got a Frankensteined 5-string Warmoth P/MM done the same way. I love mine. And when I get a chance, I'll drop in a pix link.

I'd be interested in knowing more about the electronics. Mine is loaded with a Bart P5 and a Basslines MM5. It's wired stacked V/T and stacked V/T. Sounds okay, but I'd like a different option.

Look for a PM later.

5. Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    I hope too see pics of you Warmoth soon!

I advert you that mine is totally passive, I have also a 3way active electronic by Magnetics (Pick up & electronics made in Italy- http://www.theguitardoctor.it/) but I prefere to let all passive, the sound is great this way.
    My next project is an asat body bass (maoghany & flamed maple top) made by a luthier with a jazz neck with two active jazz pu & 3way active electronic bass-parametric mids-high.
    The bass is 70% made, needs to be assembled...pics soon.

6. Great Job...nice clean routing for the MM pickup...

series/parallel switches are a must-have with humbuckers IMO...

good arrangement of controls...

How does she sound?
  7. CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Nice work!
    Can't wait to see your next finished project. :cool:
  8. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    That is one fine bass.
    My best friend is italian and 85% of my friends growing up were italian(They still might be). I must say your guys food is amazing. So I thank you for that to.
  9. Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    thanks everybody! :crying:
    from me and the bass (her name is Geordiebass) :bassist:
    Coutts is god: Italy is the esyest place to be overweight :smug: too much good food everywhere :p

The bass really sound great, also because the Magnetics Pu (try if you can ;) )are really really good sounding and ABSOLUTELY quiet, very similar to the EMG (I had di marzio dp122 at first but they where too noisy even if really loud)
    Separately, the pu, especially th P, are very hot and loud,probably the MM needs an active preamp to have more basses, but when they go togheter the P fill the needs and the sound is really complete,perfect in all the tonality range.
    The series parallel offers a great variety of sounds and I think the best configuration is both pu open, both in series, they perfectly match each other.
    Looking on the web I found that this particular configuration is getting more and more appreciated, also by the bass builders, and I think there are some good reasons...

Forgive me if I do some english errors, I'll try to do my best ;)
  10. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    You do good work bro!

Maybe you should start your own company...I would probably buy one of those!
  11. Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    this is another frankenbass I own, unfortunately (or fortunately???)now is totally disassembled...
    it's a cheap SX made fretless
    the P pu was a cheap Select by EMG (really not too bad at all)
    but the monstruosity was the bridge humbucker...an EMG 707 guitar pick up for seven strings guitars :D :p

the sound of this freak?

Have you ever heard about a guy called Les Claypool??? :p :p :p
    (with the right proportion... ;) )

:help: I'm a monster maker !!! :help:
  12. Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Thank you Lucas ;)
    when you don't have much money you need to be...
    how you say?...

I'm happy afterall cause I have all I need, a P Bass and a MM in one bass, and I'm going to have a jazz soon ( I hope before I go in studio with my band) with a very few money. I can tell you how much if you want.

Now I need a Rick... :rollno: and I don't have money...
    but I'm thinking about... :p :p :D :D
  13. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    that looks very nice indeed, i'd love to hear a clip of it
  14. Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    When I'll be able to register something in a good way :p I will post it for sure.
  15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  16. Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Thank you Nino.
    I know you!!! ;)
    I've seen some of your beautiful creation on the Warmoth site,
    maybe you will don't believe, but really some pics of your basses was a great inspiration for me. ;) and also this:

"I found that a lot of the basses on the market didn't have what I needed and/or wanted. To satisfy my own needs & wants in a bass, I would build a bass using the best parts available"

I totally agrre, It's my starting point. (according to my money... :p :D )

If only we could have a Warmoth in Italy!!!!! :rollno:

many people don't buy some of their pieces 'cause their price, starting low, become very high when you had to addition the shipping cost plus the 25% of Italian taxes.
    My dream is to have something like warmoth, great quality at a right price here, to build my own ideas... :rolleyes:

Nice to meet you Nino and good businnes!! ;)
  17. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    +1 very nicely done. may I ask how you did it?
  18. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Nice job on the Squier.
    I like the fretless too. Been a fan of the shape of the Tune basses for a long time. I've also used some guitar pickups with success on basses, but never the 707. The 89 can sound good on basses too.
  19. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I like it! :)

Well done. Series/Parallel on the P and MM pickups are excellent.

Welcome to TB. :bassist:
  20. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

That's one of the nicest Fenders I've seen in a long time. I don't like Fenders normally, but that solid black pickguard really does it for me.