Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What I noticed recently about Blink182

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Zirc, Jul 5, 2001.

1. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Just recently, I came to this conclusion about Blink 182. They aren't in the music biz for the money, fame, fans, or any of that. They're simply in it for the fun. I realized this after watching "The Rock Show" video. After that all of the things they did over the years clicked. All of their videos, songs, words, and performances, they were just doing it all because they had fun doing it.

Isn't that what music is supposed to be about? Having fun?

Respect-o-meter for Blink 182 just went up :)

Just thought I would share...

2. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Nope... it's about the money and women. :D

3. they've been saying it for years, i realized it awhile ago. If you say, no its for the money, well, maybe the money was an added bonus. They said it themselves, when somone offers you a check with a whole lot of zeros, to do one tv special, and with that check you can stay in a nice place, rather than your friends living room, they took the check.

4. actually, frizzle, the guitarist just married his girlfriend of x years, so it's probably not the women. :)

5. Of course, who wouldn't take it?

6. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    the bassist is engaged too...

and why shouldn't they take the money.

they have to eat too. soon enough they'll have families to take care of.

making sure your wife and kids don't starve is much more important than ungrateful fans who accuse you of "selling out" after making one video.

and if they can have fun....they're made.

(IMO the music sucks, though)

7. ::enter son of mr. smarty pants::
    He got married last december. Unless you still call it engagement after your married ;)
    ::exit of son of mr. smarty pants::

and back to the subject, you see guys Blink 182 isn't so bad! Now go out and buy yourself Dude Ranch and Cheshire Cat! (if not already, of course) You'll thank me later!

8. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    k, i read the interview in November.

and i've got Dude Ranch and Cheshire Cat (and Buddha). IMHO they're nothing special.

and Enema of the state was really boring.

9. Well I guess it all depends on the listener, eh? I kinda liked Enema of the State, though not near as good as their other albums (i have all of them)

and heres some images for you blinkophiles

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Really, that video was awesome. Mark said that they had $500,000 to make the video (!), so they just went out, blew the money, recorded some scenes of them playing, and that's the video....

Crazy. BTW, Cheshire Cat is EASILY their best album.

11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    damn! and i thought you finally realized blink sucks!

12. you people try to hard. Good for you... you dont like a band... you think they sold out... "even your better than them as a musician"... big deal... they're rich, your not. By definition... wouldnt that just make you a hater?

Seriously, i dont know if its just me, but there are way to many "i hate (insert band name, or musician)" topics, i mean geeze. You dont like them, dont listen to them on the radio, dont buy their cds, dont buy their merchendice, dont go to their concerts, but good god, is it really necessary to preach your beliefs? Just cause you dont liek them, doesnt mean everyone else cannot like them.

13. Enema boring???? IMO that album is full of energy. Not as good as Dude Ranch.

14. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Blink good but not great IMO. They're rich from playing, i'm not-respect them for it. thats all

15. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    The thing that cracks me up (I don't know their names) Capn' Guitar and Mr. 4 Strings act like total asses, generally this would annoy me, but in the mean time Sgt. Sticks barely says anything and never laughs or really seems to have much emotion at all. And that is a comedic goldmine!

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Mutt: IF someone says they either 1) don't like Blink, or 2) think they sold out, what automatically makes you *know* the hater is poor, or doesn't have money? It's an argument I hear all too often... "you don't like them because they have money and you never will"...that's not always true, for anyone. Not everything revolves around the money, either, so to say that they think they sold out because the have more money (which again, you don't necessarily know, on the accuser's side or on blink's) is rediculous! There are other reasons! Like... a belief? Mmm...

FJC: Why should them having make them deserve your respect? Does money earn your respect? Is it really that easy? IMO, that's pretty pathetic. Money isn't respect.

17. well, in an Alternative Press interview with Travis (the drummer), he says he prefers to not say jokes and talk into the mic, which is why he doesnt have a mic near his set, other than his drum mics of course.

18. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I think they are funny guys! I just wish they were better musicians! Makes me want to fall asleep when i listen to them!

19. i sincerely believe their last video (the uhmm yeah show) was completely staged. it all seems too fake to me. i wouldn't be surprised if it turns out they had a script planned for the whole "we were given money so we blew it on this crap" deal. just a hidden subliminal message thing so kids will think they're rebellious and KEWL.

20. can you see the irony?