1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What I Said

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mellowinman, Nov 6, 2013.

1. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Yada Yada, Dirty Lixx, Yada Yada...

2. I think you went on a bit long there.....

3. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Apr 15, 2013
    oh so that's why you facebook friended me, so you could invite me to your gigs

i thought you liked me, man :(

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    You rock. The things that your band is doing should earn you plenty of gigs. Of course we know that good bands don't always get paired up with good gigs, for all of the right and wrong reasons.

However... when communicating with the public or anybody else, my advice is to avoid any hint of negativity about yourself, the scene, or anybody else, and never make any excuses for yourselves. You don't need to do those things, so don't.

5. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    I don't get it Big Dan.

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    May I ask what kinds of bands were the promoters looking for? I also have some critiques in regards to some of the videos and some of the playing :bag:

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    She said,
    Hi all! I'm trying to find bands from northeastern Indiana. I need video, etc. if you are a band that I haven't worked with, or if you know of bands that I haven't worked with please contact me via Facebook message. Thanks for your help!!

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I don't know what this means.

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    This is a person I have talked with in person before, and we stood watching the band in question, while she non-stop criticized all the mistakes they were making. She was promoting them at the time, and told me she was planning on firing them.

I'm unhappy that we don't get a particular outdoor gig every single year, and a lot of lesser bands do, and I'm just saying, if she could get these guys up there, she sure as hell could get us up there.

10. sm49341

sm49341

May 12, 2013
    Michigan
    They may not be looking for your style of band. I'm just being honest with this next statement: I would imagine there are folks who might find the band name a little tasteless or riskee . That could hurt your booking. Especially at festivals that are family oriented.

11. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I've talked about having an alternative name, just for such things.

The DL Bumblebee Band

12. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    You're probably right. But, being right isn't always what gets you what you want.

As others have noted, there's quite a negative tone throughout the message, and it's pretty long. Either can be a turn-off.

Lack of response up to that point could have nothing at all to do with you & your band. It could be a simple matter of incompetence. Not knowing any more details than what you've provided, & what most of us should know about human nature in general, I think the odds favor incompetence.

If I saw an ad like that from somebody that I knew, I'd contact them by more direct, private channels. Your original response may have gotten lost in the mass of other responses.

13. Lol you may as well have replied with "How DARE you not pay attention to my band!".

Your band might simply not be what the promoter is looking to book. Or maybe the promoter didn't get around to watching your clips. Whatever the reason, sending them a wall of text about how much better than anyone else in town you are is an almost-sure way to not get noticed by a promoter. Its one thing to be assertive but its another to be confrontational...and that's what your message feels like to me. Its also one thing to promote yourself and another to blatantly crap on every other local band in your area. I wouldn't call that professional at all.
    I think a more effective message to her would have been something along the lines of "Hey, didn't get word from you. Just wondering if you were able to check out our videos yet. Looking forward to hearing from you".

I've had to share stages with "rock stars" in my town before too. They normally don't get asked to return by the promoters simply because they're impossible to deal with or have unrealistic concepts of themselves. One band tried to blame the promoter and venue for being "too far away" and that's the reason why so many of their "100+ fans" didn't make it.

14. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    She replied that she is going to book us.

15. Well I stand corrected then, haha.

16. You got lucky.

17. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Promoters are generally sleezebags as evidenced by her trashing one of her bands in front of you.
    Expect no less.

18. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    We got picked up by a promoter who got us a great gig with high pay for our little band. It took 2 months and allot of calls and emails to get our money...never used her again.

19. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    A person can be great, but there comes a point where I wouldn't/couldn't work with them.

Any business is primarily about relationships, and if a person is too difficult to work with I may be willing to work with someone less talented but more amicable.

Just IMO, IME, etc..

20. Huh? :confused::help: