Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what I think you might like.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Germz, Oct 19, 2000.

1. Germz

Germz

Jun 19, 2000
    I sugest an Ibanez GIO [4 string] if you want a bass that sounds good and is inexpensive.Ive tried fenders to but i realy do not like those.I do no people who do but like i said I do not like them.

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

Thanks for the suggestion, Germz. Having an instrument that you are completely satisfied with is, for most of us, a life long search.

I agree with the Fender comments, but you best be careful with any negative comments about the big 'F'. I've seen flame wars that would make the civil war seem like a tea party started over what was taken as a slam.

I've decided that people don't OWN Fenders, they adopt them into the family.:) :)

Seriously though, Germz, I'll bet that your taste in an instrument will change several times throughout your bassin' life. Mine has.

By the way, welcome to T.B.

Pkr2

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Given the number of negative comments in some of the previous Ibanez threads, I somehow doubt that many people will like this.

And also, if I'm aspiring to own a bass, then I would rather it is an expensive one actually - this is what I like! ;)

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    ================

I agree, Bruce. I have a 4 string Washburn that I've been asking $17,500 for and I haven't had a nibble yet.
    You wouldn't be interested in buying it, would you?

I've got a gig bag that goes with it that's expensive too if you're interested. :) :)

Disclaimer: This is a lame attempt at humor. I really don't have a gig bag. :)

Pkr2

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I've got a cheap Ibanez too! I'm not actually totally sure what the model is, it's older, and not listed on their web site! It was a beginner's bass, but I've been very happy with it. Obviously, we can talk all day about personal preferences, but for me, I scored! This bass feels excellent and has wonderful tone. I have some complaints, like no shielding, and poor tuning machines, but overall, I'm extremely happy. Of course, it's not my main instrument anymore.

6. how could you not like fenders?
    i think ibanez's are ok but fender,the american standard,how could you go wrong?

7. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    fenders aren't sexy enough for me ;) they don't make me feel as sexy as my SR885 does. we all know how feeling sexy benefits our playing ;)

:D j/k :D

8. Germz

Germz

Jun 19, 2000
    Same with me.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's a bit silly to quibble over the pros and cons of Ibanez vs. Fender. If you like Ibanez, play one. Fenders can be heard on more recordings than any other bass. I guess they pretty much are the definitive bass sound. Lessee ... who knocks off Fender basses? Sadowsky, Lakland, ESP, Lull and a plethora of others who arguably make the best basses in the world. They apparently don't think Fenders suck. I kind of doubt that an Ibanez player is highly qualified to assess the comparative suckiness of a particular brand.

Now here's what I think you'd like. A Lakland 55-94 Deluxe 5-string with Bartolinis and a quilt top, with gold hardware. But I admit that I am biased ... I own three Fenders.

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    who said anything about suckiness? and why the jab at ibanez players?

i know quite a few ibanez bass players, one in particular who is a regular on this list, who are very qualified to describe "the comparative suckiness of a particular brand". then again, what would this one in particular know, he's just a working professional bass player, and a pretty damn good one too.

the price or quality of the instruments that someone plays does not automatically qualify or disqualify someone's opinions. otherwise, i've got you all beat, hands down. :D we all know that's not true :D

11. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    JOHN TURNER IS RIGHT!!!!!!!! I have a Salas Custom 4, which is a GREAT GREAT Bass.. but Me.. im a sucky player so that Degrades the quality heheheheh :D

DM

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    No, i dont think id like an Ibanez GIO...thanks though! :D

13. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Fender's may be "great" basses that set a standard, but they have the WORST B-strings I have ever heard! Sorry! IMO, Laklands are very overrated also, I just sold my '98 Deluxe 5, couldn't be happier with my Modulus Q5! To each his own, though.

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    jt - I'll think about it ... and get back to you on this.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I mostly agree with this statement, but have you played a Roscoe Beck 5, the new American Deluxe Precision 5(maple board) and the Squier Precision Special 5?

Fender may be starting to get it together on B strings.

5 of the 6 Squiers that I've played are as tight as a Modulus Genesis, dang near as tight as a Quantum!

I'll let the Lakland players have your OTHER comment.;)

:D

16. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    All this discussion is making me realize how good my Washburn really is. I might have to raise the price. Seriously, though, wouldn't it be a boring world if everybody liked the same thing? What sounds and looks great to me is going to sound like crap to some people. Can you imagine a world where we all wanted to marry the same person because there was only one example of an attractive person? Sound and beauty are very subjective terms.

I think Germz made a good post. His profile says that he is 14 years old. He had an opinion on a bass that he has first hand experience with. He recommends the bass and if I were just starting out I would value his opinion.

To make it sound like his opinion is less valuable because he likes an Ibanez is not the welcome that we should show a new member.

I personally agree with him. I don't play a fender either but I respect the fact that a lot of people do, and I wouldn't slam Fender or any other brand. :)

Pkr2

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well spoken, pkr2!

Why can't we all just get along?

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, I've thought it over. First, jt, you know Fieldy? Cool.

Second, OK, I confess. I thought about buying an Ibanez SR 805 once. It sounded good, but not really bitchen. Fenders sound better (the right Fenders). That's just my feelings.

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :D fieldy, that's a good one.

hey, pacman, where are you?

20. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Don't get me wrong, Jazz basses are great as are Laklands, but I just don't like either as much as my Modulus. I think Fenders and Laklands are great basses with some weak points like any other brand! Some say Modulus basses are sterile sounding, but its all a matter of opinion. I've owned fine examples of each brand, and only the Modulus remains...