1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What I thought was back pain...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Oct 16, 2009.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

...enduring about 6 weeks of it. I naturally blamed the new rig. Coming from playing guitar; I'm playing a much heavier instrument, and nearly 3 times the weight in gear.

The MD determined there was no pinched nerves or fractures, Prescribed me Vicadin to ease the pain & I went home...getting lots of rest before each show.

After chewing through the Vicadin in a 3rd of the prescribed time for the pain (Vicadin ain't all it's cracked up to be...bad nausea) which got more intense, the doc ordered me a CT scan.

It's summary is ugly: Probable Multiple Meyaloma. A form of blood disease which is attacking my bones in the lower spinal area. The pain is caused by lesions which is brought on by the imbalance in my higher-than -normal red count.

Needless to say: All gigs cancelled, I have to find someone to shepard all of my real estate transactions...which in these depressing times, is actually 1/2 decent. I am writing from a hospital bed in Royal Oak.

I will beat this, but not without enduring a lot of pain, hours of doubt dealing with uncertainties that I figured were what other people suffered. I have always taken care of my physique, diet, don't smoke or drink. Yet here I am. More pissed and frustrated. I am only sad when I see my folks, who typically, I am usually visiting them in a hospital for a fall, or some conflict with prescribed medicine.

I'll try to keep you all posted as I go through the various stages of treatment. I look forward to the day when I can walk my dog, get it on with my wife (sorry TMI), and walk on to the stage again.

Thanks,

P. Aaron

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Thought are with you, man. Best of luck, and wishes for strength for you.

Check back in when you can, and let us know how you are.

3. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Wow, talk about unlucky.

Some people can smoke a pack or two a day their whole life, and never even get a hint of lung cancer, but people who lead a heatly lifestyle get attacked by some obscuer thing like this.

Good luck with it man, i hope you pull through it ok.

4. Blind Rat

Blind Rat

Apr 23, 2009
    Here
    Not good to hear,you fight with all you have.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sorry to hear it, man. I just said a prayer for you and your family.

bc

6. DanAleks

DanAleks Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Mar 5, 2009
    I'm pullin' for you!

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Stay strong. I don't pray, but as a show of solidarity I will post a thread in OT for you.

8. P. Aaron

Thank you all. I start a chemo regiment this PM.

It's the unknowns that scare me the most. Plus, the effect of the chemo upon my other organs.

9. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    keep your chin up man, my thoughts are with you beating this

10. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    Hang in there man. And keep sharing with us. You're not alone.

11. P. Aaron

As the treatment has begun...and thankfully these docs seem to be covering every angle I am more mobile and pain free now than I was a week ago.

The first few days here, it was all about pain management, since we almost have that under control, they are introducing the chemo to attack the cause of the pain.

Eventually I will experience a bone marrow transplant (grafting for lack of a more appropriate term). I dread the invasiveness of these procedures, and the healing process. But I can actually say, I trust the medical professionals treating me.

My band's suffering a gig (one of many to come) without me tonight. Now that really hurts!

Thank you all for your words of encouragement.

12. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Wow, I wish you a thorough recovery. Keep us informed man.

P.S. Prescription painkillers (I think it's the case for Vicodin) often have nausea-inducing ingredients to discourage addiction.

13. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Prayers said bro for a complete recovery!

14. Spoken as a true bass player. :bassist: I think the fact that you are posting is an encouragement in itself. Also, I think it is at this time that the fact that you have taken care of your body brings optimism. Stay encouraged!

Im a bone marrow donor myself, and its not as bad as it seems.

Dont know what you believe, but you are on my prayer list bass bro.

15. I hope you'll get pass through this hard time. I know it is not easy for you to talk about this but please keep us up to date so we know if there's way we can help you.

16. Holy crap, that's terrible. I'm so sorry to hear that. You have a great attitude though, and I'm convinced that is immensely important to both your physical and emotional health. My thoughts are with you. Come back to the TB community if there's anything we can do to help.

17. +10 more

18. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Best wishes. Thoughts and prayers being sent your way.

19. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    I feel for you man my back has been pretty messed up for the past few weeks. Just a simply miserable condition. Thankfully mine is starting to stop which makes me optimistic its something not serious.

Hang in there and get yourself better.

20. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Thoughts and best wishes sent your way from here. Be strong and positive!