What (if at all) should I upgrade on my MIM Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nasonm, Nov 17, 2004.

1. nasonm

Jan 28, 2004
    Bangor, ME
    I have a 1995 Fender Jazz (MIM STD) in what appears to be candy apple red.

I need a new nut (the bass side is chipped causing the e to pop out of the slot).

What other upgrades should I consider?

How much of a change does a Badass bridge make?

As far as looks, I may actually replace the stock white guard with Red Pearl.
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I had a 1995 MIM Jazz bass. I ended up putting a Badass on, Duncan Basslines Quarter POounders, a pickguard. Damn thing wasn't as good as it was stock. I say leave it be. Those are nice basses, and the pickups sound surprisingly good.
  3. on my MIM Jazz, its 3-tone sunburst with a white pickguard. all ive doen to it as of now is add a thumb rest above the E string. I'm thinking next to put on a tortise shell pick guard maybe. i was also wondering what putting a badass 2 bridge would do to the sound of the bass and all. i've also thought of puttiing on pick-up covers but i'm not entirely sure about that yet.

4. I would leave the bridge alone. Maybe new knobs and pickguard and tuners. They say the pups are fine on those, but you can definetly hod rod that thing w/ some designer single coils. COncentric knobs even allow for creative wiring tricks, none of which I am qualified to explain. Badass bridge is a waste of moeny on that bass.

edit: didn't know it was was candy-axx red. I am wondering how complicated a re-paint/refinish is.
  5. The pre-2001 MIM use non-standard (non-USA) pickups. This makes it difficult to drop in aftermarket J pickups that fit MIA basses.

Post-2001, MIM jazz started using the standard pickup sizing, plus they started winding one as North and other as South for um cancelling. Older versions used the same pickup in both positions, hence the hum being present even with both pickups on.

I have a set of DiMarzio Model J for my 2001 MIM-J fretless. I'm happy with the rest of the bass, neck, tuners, etc. I could probably upgrade the pots, except I always run them full open.
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've read this many times, and this was not the case with my MIM 1995 Jazz Bass. The pickups were non-standard, however, I dropped in the Quarter Pounders no problem. Actually the pickguard on mine was ill fitting with the stock (same size) pickups and fit perfectly with the QPs. Also, mine stock was most definitely hum cancelling with both pickups on full.

The pickups on my Fender MIM Jazz bass actually sounded terriffic and I have them for sale, they'd be a great replacement for an SX or other inexpensive Jazz Bass owner. (plug there, sorry).

I put a badass on and the feel and tone of the bass was not as good as the stock Fender Bridge. The QPs sounded great, but no better than the Fender stockers.
  7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Personally, I would throw in some DiMarzio Model J's, a J-Retro Preamp, a Gotoh 206 Bridge (have a shop drill some "thru-body" holes and add some string ferrules, so you can string it through the body), and get yourself a Modulus J replacement neck. ALthough, all of that would easily be much more expensive than the original purchase price of the bass......
  8. I have the Model J, just sold the J-Retro, and found the Gotoh 201 puts the saddles too high on my particular basses.

I had to take the Gotoh off my J-fretless because the saddles are quite a bit higher than the stock Fender (MIM) bridge. Depending on how your neck is seated, this may/may not pose a problem. I have the Gotoh on my MIM-P instead. I hear no difference in sound.

The Model J have lots of oomph on their own, so I sold the (unused) J-Retro to a guy on the Dude Pit. I put the proceeds into a 100' snake for my PA, where I will get more use out of it. The DiMarzio Model J are impressive all on their own, without active assistance.

Overall, I find the MIM basses to be good players right out of the box. Spend more time playing, less time customizing..