What if Fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    what if Fender raised its quality control to that of Ken Smith, Roger Sadowsky, or Keith Roscoe???? would that make a big difference to us the end user? or are they so big that they can continue to be as they are and get away with it :mad:
  2. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Then maybe I wouldn't laugh at a $900 price tag on a p-bass.

Ok...maybe I still might.

BTW-I haven't seen too much problems with the MIA. I do think it's way overpriced.
  3. It really makes me shake my head an wonder whats going on with all the Fender bashing, cause i can tell you between Fenders guitars and basses i played probally 100 of the things...and other than a poor setup here and there or a cosmetic issue (scratch or dent) i have yet to play one that i thought was terrible.
  4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yep. People expect the small shop, handmade quality for mass produced factory prices.

Thanks, Wal Mart. :meh:
  5. ilikepie

Jul 23, 2003

I just don’t understand why there is so much fender bashing. Sure they are not always 'perfect' but the amount of bashing seems disproportionate to the actual number of issues.
    Does it come down to the 'hating something because it's mainstream' mentality which seems to be quite popular these days or is it something else?
  6. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    I bought the Marcus Miller sig Fender jazz 5 string bass last year.

I had to wait 4 months for it but can honestly say it's the best bass I have ever played.

As they say you can't please all the people all the time.
  7. Fender has no need to do anything differently. There is an inexhaustible supply of idiots who will always buy them.

Seriously, I don't think Fender QC is so much a problem as their ancient designs. You have a choice as a bass player; you can live in the past and play a Fender, or you can live in the present and chose from the wonderful array of intresting, modern instruments made by other manufacturers.

My two rupees.
  8. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I am an idiot...but that is O.k. :p
  9. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
  10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Give the man a cookie - I think you nailed it.

11. NINO3000

Feb 10, 2004
    Mount Vernon NY
    Idiot? I dont know about all that! I just picked up a brand new MIA deluxe Jazz ash body 5 string, butterscotch finish with a maple neck and black pickguard. Exactly what I ordered, Exactly what I got and its...............FIRE!!!

I too hated fenders at one point untill I started shopping for a new 5. I tried all kinds of Warwicks and music MM's Lakelands's and the rest. My favorite bass is a Ken Smith but didnt want to pay the 3500 for it yet. I just happened to try the deluxe Jazz and that was that. Despite mass production depsite poor quatilty control there is a reason they the most used basses in the industry (The indusrty standard) and there is a reason they are the most copied bass.

I will post my pics soon

My 2 shillings
  12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I bought two and I love them. There may be an inexhaustable supply of idiots in this world but I dont know that they are always buying Fenders.
  13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Me, I'm not a big fan of the tone. YMMV. Though I frequently pick a jazz up off the wall and check it out, the only difference I see are playability issues, and I ALWAYS level the frets and and adjust the heck out of any bass I buy. The problem with Fenders, IMO, is that people expect to play them off the shelf without having them professionally adjusted first. I don't care WHAT brand of bass you play or how much you paid for it, it will need to be adjusted after shipping from climate to climate, humidity changes, etc.

I can guarantee you that if you give me 20 brand new Fender jazz basses, I can get them all to play almost identically after fret levelling and setup. A few might need a neck shim, but so what, big deal, they're bolt-ons.
  14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Spoken like someone who doesn't really know what they are talking about. Good show!
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think the comment about the setup is very true. Once setup correctly, a Fender is a nice playing instrument. The Fender ive owned wasnt, but had potential to be. It was a 1993 MIM fender jazz. The bridge was the main problem, and ive seen this can be a reaccuring problem. The MIM bridges...the saddles slide down by themselves, easily solved: buy a new bridge. So i did , but the G string STILL slid off the side of the neck quite easily. I think Fender should make this adjustment if they already havent. Main reason i didnt like the bass. P basses .. i havent seen that problem. One of the several reasons why i like them better.
  16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    That Jaco guy, what an idiot he was . . .

Oh, and that Jamerson guy too . . .

Don't forget that ultimate idiot named Geddy . . .
  17. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Well, I can tell you that I am not a Fender hater, I own some and I have always loved the sound of Fenders, However, I was quite puzzled for some time on why I would come accross a really nice Fender, but more often than not, this was not the case, and maybe it was me?? but do you think people have as much quality control with other venders on charge what some would consider "two-three) times more for their basses :meh: or are we just expecting too much from Fender and how they produce there basses? do people who have basses by other vendors have the same issues with q/c?

18. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Maybe it's because I've played more Fenders than others, so the problems I see stick out more.

Some I've come across. Mostly on MIM and squiers.

Neck plate screwed very tight to the body and you can see the finish cracking. I also saw this on one MIJ.

Scratchy pots.

Loose jacks.

Oh and I do like fenders. I'm not bashing because I hate.