1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What if Fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Apr 6, 2004.

1. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    When you set them up, yes they play very well.

One of the things I have noticed, is some are really heavy, and some are fairly light. Some I think hae a really nice acoustic property to them, and some I can't hear at all when playing unplugged.

That would be the main reason why I wouldn't buy a fender sight unseen. BUT, I am not mainly a fender player.

2. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas

It’s quite possible that Jaco and Jamerson may have chosen to play other basses than Fender if they were available to them.

Is Geddy still using a Fender :meh:

I’m not bashing Fender’s just not my preference.

3. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Like most of the consensus here, I, too, didn't care for Fender. Played Rickys almost exclusively for years. Then one day I decided to "give 'em a try". Now, I am not saying that they are the best, or even in the top ten necessarily. However, I purchased a new Aerodyne and a used American Jazz. I absolutely LOVE them both! Kinda sorry I waited nearly twenty years to come to my senses!

4. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    After some many intents, I can't be a Fender lover. I like the looks, I like the classic passive tone, but I don't feel comfortable with their playability, maybe bacause the scale lenght and/or fingerboard radius, B-string issue. Another 'negative' factor is the bad customer svc & warranty attitude/reputation... My solution: Custom built and Clone basses that fits my eccentricities.

5. Leo Fender designed his electric guitars and basses instruments to be produced relatively inexpensively (compared to say a carved top Gibson) and in large quantities. It's impossible for Fender to achieve the same level of QC as Smith, Sadowsky, Roscoe, etc. due to the sheer number of instruments the company produces.

Maybe big chain stores like Guitar Center are partly to blame for the Fender bashing. I'm guilty of going to GC, playing a bunch of Fenders and deciding that Fender QC has gone down the tubes due to sharp fret ends, poor playability, etc. The thing is, GC doesn't do any setup work on their instruments AFAIK, and they don't take great care of instruments once they're on display. IME it's rare to find any instrument at GC that plays great. Maybe some of the onus should be on retailers. Most guitars need tweaking after a trip across the country in a cardboard box.

Leo Fender's designs may be "ancient," but they are certainly not outdated. The Tele, Strat, Precision, and Jazz are among the greatest design achievements of the past century. What else has been produced continuously and remained relatively unchanged for as long?

6. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    I'm fed up with the prices of fender, especially in france where an american jazz bass deluxe 4 strings sells at 2000 US dollars !!!

7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    So true.

8. I pulled my '97 MIA Jazz V off the wall at GC in '97 and it's been my main since (although i've been tinkering with a BTB 406 lately too). I've purchased 12-13 basses since i got it, and i've sold them all. The only bass i've owned that was of higher quality was an Rbass that i had for about a month. Every time i record i get the same thing from engineers, "only bring the black bass" (my fender is black).. considering the quality control issues that most people have had with GC (including myself), i guess i got lucky... :smug:

9. All this "what if Fender does this" is really irrelavent. Fender is as coorporate as it gets, and if any of you know anything about the coorporate world, you'll know that they will cut cost to save pennies on mass volume sales. So, unless the company is sold, it really doesn't matter what they can do to make things better. They(The Man) will follow the same formulas of cost cutting to maximize profits, and that's their bottm line. If a person wants a "higher attention to detail Fender," Fender does have the Custom Shop which will do the same level work, from what I understand, as a ll the top builders.

10. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I've had the chance to play a few Fenders at GC that were fresh on the floor, new strings, and nobody had really molested them yet. All of them played beautifuly. If you can ever find a bass that hasn't been droped, scratched up, abused, and practiced on by all of the great slapper wanna-bes out there then what I've found is they're awesome instruments.

The one's I've played were a P+J Deluxe, Geddy Lee, and a 77 Reissue I believe, and various jazzes and p-basses

11. I don't like Fenders simply because of the body shape - I can't play one sitting down and I can barely handle one standing up. Same goes for any knockoffs you care to mention, as well as all the P-bass-shaped G&L's - they just don't fit me. I have no idea about their quality because I've never owned one or known someone who both owned a Fender and knew what they were talking about when it came to basses. That's not a judgement either, I just don't know people who own Fenders.

12. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    all day today at work I just felt so, oh, you know like an IDIOT. :rolleyes: so i come home eat dinner, and plug my FENDER P BASS into my SVT and ya know what? I LOVE BEING AN IDIOT!!!! it has never felt so good! ;) One of the best lessons I learned at an early age was to get your gear set up. I dont care if you play a P or a Smith. If it was shipped in a box through many different climate it needs to be set up. For all of ya'll wanting to get of your Fenders please sell to us for cheap....cause yah man we be IDIOTS. :D
    Keeping the Funk Alive in P-town for another 100 years!!!!
    "I have enough trouble with four..."

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, like the J and P copies that Sadowsky, Lakland, and Lull make.

14. HAHA!

15. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Why should they ? They've been selling a ton of basses/guitars with inferior craftmanship anyway for years,yet a lot of players still buy regardless of what other type of high-end product that he or she has.

16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    It is QC.
    That's why older fenders cost so much.
    Because they play and sound better.
    Fender has become incosistent, you can find one good one
    and four bad ones.
    It's all about using better woods and pickups.
    Lakland and Sadowsky, Lull they just build better basses.

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    at 4-5x the price.

You cannot compare a reasonable-budget friendly Fender to a hand made custom facsimile of a Fender. Also most new Fenders play well when new, it is only after it has been dropped a million times and never setup that they start to play horribly.

Also consider some of the folks that go to music stores.

18. Fender has always been inconsistent to a certain extent. It's impossible to produce that many instruments and not have inconsistency, especially when those instruments are made primarily out of wood.

Not that long ago people were turning up their noses at Fenders from the 1970s, because of the QC issues from that decade. Now they're considered vintage and prices are high.

19. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    IMO MIA Fender basses have good quality control. Fender can charge what they want. The market is there. They are asking a fair price considering all of the high end makers out there competing.

20. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    :rolleyes: That's true. Collector's mind, not player's sense.